• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salers cattle

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salers cattle

Some time back in the 80's my old man got the idea we should A.I. all the heifers Salers. It really worked well and we ended up with a lot of Salers/hereford replacement hfrs. After their first year we bred them all charlais and got some really impressive calves. Buckskin white faces. These cows never needed any help, lived forever(sold the last two this fall...16 yrs. old!) and raised big calves. The only trouble was they were wild as deer and pretty mean when they had a calf. They were easy keepers.
    You hardly hear anything about them anymore. Has anybody had any recent experience with them? Are they still wild?

I have several salers on the farm along with charolais and semental. my cattle are more wild than most strictly because they have never been to town and require less maintaince than many animals

Comment

I will definitely agree they can take care of themselves and get the job done. I've tried many outcrosses and you get a variety of temperments. In my experience certain bulls throw quiet cattle. I used a charlais bull whose calves were very quiet. We only used the one Salers bull. At the time we had a straight bred hereford herd so it was kind of a shock!

Comment

We keep about 400 head here at any one time. We had some salers x simm x red angus steers come in at about 950 lbs. these are the quietest steers that we have ever fed. they follow you around the pen when you check them in the morning.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...