• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increasing Pork Production

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing Pork Production

Just yesterday it was in the news that the Alberta government is sending the message that they want pork production to double to 12 million units. What I didn't catch in the report is what the purpose of expansion in these numbers would be for. I seem to recall a big push for pork production not too many years back and prices in the toilet because of over supply.

I am going to go out on a limb here and ask if the government should be doing this type of promotion? What happens if things don't work out the way they feel it should? Do they then have a moral obligation of some sort to help when things don't go as planned, or are producers going to be left on their own to struggle? Is this sort of announcement meant as a message of hope for struggling grain producers?

Where are all these piggeries going to go? Given that come January 1, 2002 there will be new rules governing intenstive livestock operations how is this going to affect quality of life in various areas? Taiwan Sugar is till trying to get it's huge barns in here and the resulting increase in employment is about 50 people. Is that enough to warrant having these mega barns go up everywhere?

What happens to our quality of life if we have a huge increase in the number of ILO's granted by people who will not even be living near them? Do we want someone living in Edmonton making decisions for us that will have absolutely no impact on the decision maker? What about taking lessons from places like North Carolina that have absolutely polluted their lands?

My concern is that this is all coming down to economics and the environmental, social and quality of life issues are going to be pushed to the side. Is it just me or is it ironic that we are hearing these types of announcements on the eve of the new legislation coming in?

Linda:The government had to bring in this legislation to force people into accepting hog barns. Since the crow was scrapped it really makes no sense to export grain. We're pretty well maxxed out on cows. But pigs don't need pasture so the sky's the limit.
    Will they over produce? Of Course! Will the price collapse? Of course! The government doesn't look at the big picture...they have a way of solving problems while creating a lot more!
    Taiwan Sugar will get their factory farm. I have a friend who works at Ag in Edmonton and she says they are swamped with inquiries from people just waiting to go ahead with barns. Including lots that were turned down by their local council!
    I believe most of the municipalities are pretty happy about this despite all their belly aching. Now they don't have to look like the bad guy and can throw up their hands and say "What can I do? It's out of my hands!"
    How would you like to live beside one of these pig factories? Would your land values go up or down? I live in an area that is rapidly urbanizing. Now how many lawyers and doctors would want an acreage beside a pig barn? Should I lose so some big foreign investors can make a killing? The fact of the matter is I probably won't have one near me...too many big shots with pull live here. But if you live in the boonies you could very well soon be living in pork heaven!
    I hope the provincial govt. is prepared to throw in some more money for infrastructure for these factory farms, but I doubt it.

Comment

with mad cows in the Japanese beef system the demand for Cdn pork is on the rise as we speak.

Will it be there when the production is ready ??? who knows ?

If crowded old USA is under pressure to decrease hog production will the production move north?

Probably.

Will we produce too much pork and drive the prices down surely - but that is what lures major processors to build new plants that then need more hogs and drive the prices up and so goes the cycle.

If I was a barley grower I would welcome the new market for my grain and the ability to match the hog cycle against the beef cycle to smooth out some price swings.

It has been shown that as agrivalue production increases (and pork is higher value added than barley) average returns to the farm gate also increase. There is a trickle down effect on farm wealth as the value added is done in the province, even if the farm is not directly involved in the value adding process itself. Of course the positive impacts are even higher if one is involved in some way but that is another story.

Comment

Those are great points and I would have to agree with them.

I'm still concerned about what is going to happen during these cycles. Yes, prices will get driven down and that will take out some producers while making room for others. How much affect will it have on already established producers of 10 or 20 years when the prices go down?

I also wonder what would happen if the smell of success somehow wafted down the river valley in Edmonton? Would it seem like such a good idea then?

Comment

Linda: It is a wonderful idea as long as it is not in my back yard! Or unless I own the pig barn! Crowded old U.S.A??? You've got to be kidding, right? Have you ever traveled through eastern Montana or the Dakotas? Makes Hanna look like a metropolis!!
          These hog barns will be built...It's all a matter of dollars and cents! Hopefully the powers that be will have enough sense to put them out in the boonies where the protest can be contained! People and pigs just don't mix!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...