• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how did SADIE do? Pretty darn well...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how did SADIE do? Pretty darn well...

Western Producer, June 24, page 68.

I'm not sure if this will transfer properly, but I'll give it a try.

Rancher disputes CFIA fine over cattle ear tag violation

Tribunal to rule on $500 fine | Rancher says tags are poorly designed
    By Brian Cross

Saskatoon newsroom

A Saskatchewan rancher says he hopes a recent appearance before the Canadian Agricultural Review Tribunal will draw public attention to a recurring problem with radio frequency identification tags and encourage more beef producers to stand up for their rights.

Cattle rancher and veterinarian Ken Habermehl said he was surprised and embarrassed when he was fined $500 last year for moving cattle without a proper ear tag.

Habermehl was transporting cattle in May 2009 to a community pasture near Elbow, Sask., from his farm near Macrorie, Sask.When he arrived at the pasture, an inspector from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency was inspecting incoming cattle.
    CFIA determined that seven of Habermehl’s 29 animals lacked proper ear tags.

Later that summer, he was served with a notice of violation and fined $500 for moving his cattle illegally.

He refused to pay the fine and took his case to the tribunal, which adjudicates disputes between farmers and federal regulatory agencies.

Tribunal chair Donald Buckingham, who heard testimony last week at the University of Saskatchewan, is expected to rule within 90 days on whether Habermehl’s actions constituted a violation and whether the $500 fine was warranted.

Habermehl described the hearing as an emotional but worthwhile experience.
    “I’ve learned a lot through this process and I’m willing to teach other cattlemen to walk the path. This is the only way for cattle producers to stand up to make the CFIA and the CCIA (Canadian Cattle Identification Agency) realize that there is a problem out there.”

Habermehl said that he made reasonable efforts to ensure that his cattle were tagged before they were loaded for transport.

He argued that the tags are poorly designed and are often lost or ripped from animals’ ears during penning, processing and transportation.

“These RFID tags have got to go. Retention is a huge problem. It’s crippling us in the cow-calf industry and this is the only way to get the problem addressed.”

RFID tags were introduced several years ago in an effort to improve traceability of the Canadian cattle herd.

On July 1, the plastic RFID tags become mandatory for all cattle that are being moved from their current location or leaving their herd of origin.
    CFIA official Allison Danyluk said the agency uses several methods to ensure compliance of tagging and transportation regulations.

In addition to fines, the agency can also issue warning letters and provide producers with educational material.

These RFID tags have got to go. Retention is a huge problem. It’s crippling us in the cow-calf industry and this is the only way to get the problem addressed.

Thanks for putting this up Kato. I agree that Ken did well in exposing the sorry little bully and bluff game that the CFIA and CCIA are playing. They have been adding regulations in spite of industry opposition for years. They need to know that a cooperative approach is way more likely to succeed than command and control. HT

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...