• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay

I have a field planted last fall in 30% alfalfa & 70% timothy. The problem is a great deal of volunteer wheat has come up. I use the hay to feed horses and understand wheat can not be fed to horses. Should I be concerned and if so any suggestions as to how to get rid of the wheat?

I think it is just wheat seed that you need to keep away from horses, at haying time is should just be tillering so I doubt yould even get low enough to cut most of it. Timothy is kind of a wimpy plant when it comes to chemical, there's nothing I know of that will get rid of wheat in mixed forage.

Comment

The first cutting you cut for greenfed/hay and market it into the cattle market. You will also have any weeds. The second cut might not have much timothy, but the alfalfa...... dairy market. What you lose on the first cut, you gain on the second. Any weeds are looked after.

Short version... don't sweat the wheat. Its not a problem.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.