• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planned Grazing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planned Grazing

Just wondering if anyone has experience with high intensity or mob grazing. What benefits or drawbacks you have seen with this planned grazing approach. Based on what one reads there seems to be a huge amount of upside in terms of soil health, animal productivity and the bottom line. Any information would be a great help.
    Thanks.

You must have a local grazing association. There is always someone there who has done it. I fool around with the concepts but don't feel too qualified to answer.

Comment

Depending on where you live there are
      usually good local mentors that will
      gladly tour you for free. As well, many
      of the provincial organizations put on
      good grazing seminars. Sask forage,
      foragebeef.ca and areca are all good
      AB/SK resources. Also look at stockman
      grassfarmer for good resources.
      The biggest thing is to have/use a plan
      but remember that nature sometimes has a
      different plan, so plan for flexibility.
      We have seen nothing but improvements
      with MIG grazing on tame pastures. We
      use deferred, rest rotation adapted for
      our native ranges.
      There is no one right simple system for
      every ranch or even every grazing cell.

Comment

I have been doing it for 12 years with 30 acre paddocks. Best thing I could have done for our sandy soils. Just remember you are a "grass grower" first, not a cattle man! We are converting grass into protein and using the cattle to to do it.
        Take care of the grass and it will take care of you.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I participated in the Grazing Mentorship program administered through SaskForage but found they matched a mentor by location rather than areas of interest. Didn't find it all that helpful. I have taken a couple of classes through Holistic Management International, found these to be very helpful. Contacting a local grazing club is a good idea. I always find bouncing ideas of others is always quite productive.

Thanks again.

Comment

There is a pretty long thread on the 5BarX forum on MIG that might be of interest to you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...