• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dairy exports endanger supply management

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dairy exports endanger supply management

This appeared as a recent CBC commentary and it made some very valid points. The Canadian market cannot be protected by supply management while at the same time wanting to export into other markets, the biggest of which would be the U.S. market. It would appear that the producers, primarily in Quebec, who are pushing for the export market are playing a dangerous game. You can't have your milk and cake too!

I believe that if you want both markets, then all bets are off and you take your chances on the open market, just like the other countries. How willing are you to let the supply management system go?

Almost every major country exporting milk has either some form of protection or subsidy for their domestic market or they provide direct or indirect subsibies to export and some countries provide both.
    Canadian milk producers done everything possible to work within the rules set down in the last WTO agreement based on what our Government representatives have asked.
    There will always be those who want to discredit our system however I am disappointed to see the CBC would provide such a one sided view of supply management.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.