• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Leaders in Agriculture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Leaders in Agriculture

Where are we going to get the future leaders in ag, i.e. young people? Right now, the younger generation is on the farm trying to make things work and trying to look at farming as a business.

When we go to meetings and sit around and discuss policy, there are relatively few young people at the table - those under 30. We are making policy decisions that affect them, yet they aren't at the table and they will have to live we with we think is right for the future. How do we get them to the table and becoming more a part of the future?

yes all too often the 30 something manager encourages his 50 something dad to get onto the board (to get him off the farm and out of his hair). School boards in the country are especially frightening when you have people who's grandkids are already done elementary school deciding policy for the kids of the younger generation

Comment

With age comes wisdom! I can well remember how I thought my old Dad was a hopeless "dinosaur"! It's incredible how the old man got wiser as I got older! Leave the kids down on the farm where they are learning the basics and let experience take care of all the garbage we deem "important"?

Comment

There is value in the wisdom that many producers possess. I think we need to find ways to establish mentoring systems to pass on some of the information that many of you have gleaned over the years.

We need to have a mix sitting around the table to make the maximum use of the collective wisdom and to also allow fresh ideas and ways to look at things find new ways to handle new and emerging issues. Dealing with things the same way isn't going to help us in the long run.

The eternal debate over whether farming is a way of life or a business rages on and some of the newer blood coming into farming will look at it as a business. As such, the younger folk must have the tools to be able to deal with it as a business.

How can we organize to make use of the wisdom that exists and at the same time make room for the wisdom that is yet to come?

Comment

I am a 19 year old college student in my final year at Olds. I will finish this year with a diploma in Agricultural Business, but plan on returning next year to continue with my Bachelor in Applied Agriculture. I agree that young people are not involved with many of the decisions affecting their future. I believe that lack of awareness on this issue probably has a great deal to due with why you don't see the younger farmers and ranchers attending these gatherings. As a student I would make the recommendation of getting together at these meetings and discussing ways to generate awareness of the importance of these meetings to the younger generations. There are many of student clubs on campus that would probably really enjoy guest speakers like yourselves. By coming onto a campus like Olds and Vermillion that are agricultural based colleges, you are going to receive maximum exposer to the very people you are concerned about.

I think it is great that you are all concerned about the welfare of the younger generations. I strongly suggest discussion this topic at those meetings, and try to find ways to create awareness and enthusiasm among the younger generation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...