• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Encouraging the Young

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encouraging the Young

I heard a young lady speak not too long ago and she said that her parents are strongly encouraging their children to look elsewhere for careers and to definitely not look at food production as a viable option.

It seemed to me to be a little more than pessimistic and yet understandable given the current situation in agriculture.

What about encouraging these young people to look at farming in a new light i.e. as a business rather than a lifestyle. What we are presently doing in agriculture, for the most part isn't working, so what would happen if we looked at viable alternatives and found ways to energize the farm? More of the status quo will get you nowhere fast. Maybe farming being viewed from the eyes of the young is what we need to give us the ability to switch our way of thinking.

In each of my Spiritual Vignette columns I try to include material from / about children and young people. For so many they understand how deeply they are rooted in the rural, and care deeply about the future for agriculture and rural communities. Even as we continue to nurture them, they are also the ones who encourage and nurture us.

Comment

Linda:The sad fact is that "traditional" farming is a pretty sad business. That is not to say there aren't alternatives. I believe, over the long term, pigs make a pretty decent return. There was an article in the Western Producer last week about how pig barns have averaged about 11% on investment over the last thirty years. And for the guys who raise pigs; all the power to them!
      I think one alternative is for the young people to get another career and (if possible) enjoy the lifestyle as a hobby or second job or whatever. My son and I have taken a different approach...he is in the process of doing more and more of the farming and I am branching out into another business. I know I'm enjoying it and really enjoy making a decent profit.

Comment

Cowman, I don't disagree with you that things are pretty sad the way they are now. However, do they have to be? Are the only ones making money in this farming business those that are protected by supply managed systems and those who have land, buidings, equipment etc. paid for?

Call me an eternal optimist, but don't you think there has to be some room for something in between these 2? It's hard to admit that we are seeing more and more producers go the way that you and your son are - having an off-farm income to supplement what is going on. How many years have wives had a job off the farm to smooth out the peaks and valleys? How many more farming operations would have been lost without this supplemental income?

Farming isn't the only industry in dire straits right now - look at all the 1,000's of people being cast into the unemployment ranks because of recent airline cuts. I suppose the only difference for them is that they have the option of going on employment insurance, which is not available to farmers.

It still begs the question though of how are we going to convince young people to come into agri-business and not just primary production. We are in for tougher times yet, I think and not just at the primary level.

What will make agri-business a viable alternative for a career choice?

Comment

Linda, unfortunately that's just how it is. You can not make agriculture a viable alternative without it being profitable. Why would any young person want to enter a career where there is no stability and such a poor return on their money? Take a look at industries that are attracting the young people. One example is oil and gas. There are so many opportunities and so much MONEY to be made! Young people can expect to own a home, new car/truck,vacations in Mexico/all the toys etc.! They can expect to advance in their profession.
          One of the reasons for this is that the Alta. govt. has really supported this industry and given them an environment they can flourish in. And we've all benefitted.
          I truly don't see a solution. A banker friend told me about a year ago we need about a 50% reduction in the number of farmers to make it viable and I think he's probably right. We might not like it but that's just how it is.

Comment

I strongly believe a person has to look for what their interests are and where their heart lies. Unfortunatly right now agriculture doesn't have high economic returns but if its what a person is happy doing then thats what career they need to choose. I am a student at Olds College and it is full of young adults who have a strong passion for agriculture.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...