• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swallowing elephants while choking on ants

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swallowing elephants while choking on ants

I recently had the privilege of hearing a very dynamic speaker on agriculture while down in the Maritimes. He was explaining to us that we are "swallowing elephants while choking on ants." What he meant by this was the fact that we are taking on such huge endeavours that will pretty much get us nowhere, while letting opportunities that might just level the playing field slip past us. We are focusing on issues such as the subsidies being paid in other countries which we cannot do much about - in the U.S. for example, it's a matter of how much they are going to be paid and over what time period. All we are doing is dealing with surpluses and not with self-sufficiency. What we need to focus on are things like the availability of crop protectants that might level the playing field a little. Canada's regulatory system must adapt to what our competition is doing. Last year, Canada had 24 minimum use applications for pesticides when the U.S. had 2500. How possible is it to start to close this gap?

Agriculture in Canada is dealing with dwindling numbers in terms of people, political influence and social support. How open minded are we in terms of agriculture in this country. Most of what we hear is "can't, won't don't" and that is from all sides, not just government or producers. Management often doesn't grow at the same rate as production and our processing industry does have to take a look at doing some of the things that other countries are doing. The changing marketplace and sonsumer demographics are forcing us to move away from our comfortable position of staying entrenched in what we are doing.

Our "cheap food" policy is coming with a hidden cost that doesn't do anyone in ag any good.

Linda: Our "cheap food policy" is a short sighted way of looking at the problem, that in the end will result in a wreck. Typical of this government! The U.S.A. and the E.U. have decided to support their Agricultural sectors because they have a more long term vision. We on the other hand have the same vision as most third world countries. When the last small farmer quits and the big international corporations have complete control, then watch the "cheap food policy" go out the door! Take a look around. How many young farmers are in your area? In twenty years who will be left?
    What are the U.S and E.U. doing that is so wrong? Is trying to make agriculture viable for small farmers so evil? Canada would like to get the European and American farmer down to our level so we can all starve together! Hey, isn't that the Canadian way?

Comment

I disagree, the driving force behind the US and Eu subisidy policies has very little to do with food or with agriculture.

It has however everything to do with votes and power in the split US senate/congress and EU negotiations between rich and poorer (lots of farmer voters) EU member states.

Comment

In the UK subsidies do not really help us make a profit.
        The price we recieve is where we make a profit.Low prices; no profit just like you guys.
        I would say if you take capital invested in the farm return would likly be same or better in Canada. Land prices over here are prohibative for anyone starting to farm. Too many people willing to hobby farm for the lifestyle with money made elsewhere. Our farm houses and yards are worth a fortune but farmers must live somewhere.
        I sold my house and yard for £650,000 about two acres the guy has cooled since 11th Sept but hope he will be back in the spring.
        What could I buy in Canada with nearly $1,500,000?
        It is no easier to start farming here.

The problems are universal. We are to blame for not seeing we are all in the same boat and doing something to get prices higher.
        Governments can't help even when they try. Its our problem and only farmers can solve it.

Regards Ian

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.