• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

federal plants that kill, clean and package

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

federal plants that kill, clean and package

ducks ? Know of any? I can get the ducks but hard to find anyone interested in processing them.

Hello There!

I found one plant in BC.

K&R Poultry Ltd.
    Type: Chicken, Mature Chicken, Duck, Game Birds

Local Address:
    31171 Peardonville Rd
    Abbotsford, BC
    V2T 6K6

Tel: 604-850-5808
    Fax: 604-850-5838
    Inspector: 604-850-9231

For other plants in Canada, check out this website
    www.agr.ca/misb/aisd/poultry/sla_duck.htm

Comment

An additional processor in Manitoba is:

Northern Goose Processors Ltd./Down Inc.
      Box 510 Teulon,
      Manitoba,R0C 3B0

Tel: 1-204-886-2552
      Fax: 1-204-886-2910
      Toll Free: 1-888-753-7846

Comment

As someone who looked into getting them processed federally, it is not the easiest thing to do. Alberta to Abbotsford B.C. is a long haul for the poor little birdies (not to mention drivers) and the processing plant has a few rules of it's own to contend with as well. What seems like a terrific idea at first - strong demand, relative ease of growing etc., turns out to not be so profitable in the long run. There has to be a way to do it, but I haven't penciled one out yet.

Part of the problem for these "alternative" type products is the system has to change along with the demands of consumers as well. The marketplace is slow to change, as are those who make policy. Here in Alberta there isn't a federal kill facility for birds other than chicken and you have to be in the supply managed system for that.

Question is, would there be enough demand from ducks, pheasant, guinea fowl, geese and the like to warrant a federal plant?

Comment

In Alberta alot of Hutterite colonys have an inspector when they kill for resale you could check when they maybe killing and have it done along with theirs. the cost of the inspector and them doing it might make it profitable

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.