• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

canola on canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

canola on canola

anyone with experience with this practice? I have liberty stubble.

Go with a rr variety with good resistance to sclerotinia and blackleg. Be prepared to see more flea beetle damage then usual. I have done it twice. First time it turned out to be a really good crop, last year did it again on a different 1/4 and had problems. It is workable but definetly not ideal.

Comment

I have done it a couple times and it has worked well for me BUT its very stressful. And with Clubroot lurking in the back of everybodys mind its even worse. (Pioneer has 45H29, clubroot resistant variety. I did yieldready plots last year and it was the highest yielding Rup variety including experiementals. yield around 7% below invigors but the dockage was 4% lower than the invigor.
      Be prepared to scout aggressively, dont cheap out on seed treatment/insecticide, any pest in your area that is usually just a concern will probably become a problem.
      I looked hard at canola on canola this year and decided to fallow some, rent some out for potatoes, and grow peas on the remainder. Minimize the cereals but still keep my rotation intact for 2011 canola.

Good Luck

Comment

I have heard in Norther alberta its a typical crop rotation canola, canola, canola ect. A few years ago we even had to supply our records and show who bought liberty and how much plus seed sales. If someone bought liberty and no seed then they also brown bagged to. I guess alot of guys do it but never seen it first hand.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...