• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

feeding weaned hfr calves

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feeding weaned hfr calves

With the recent drop in calf prices , I've decided to hold back 20 hfr calves with hopes of breeding them for replacements. These calves are approx. 600 lbs. and are mostly herefords. My question is what type of feeding program should I use? I have a good supply of excellent grass hay but I would have to purchase any grain ration. I believe that it would be possible to get the required weight on these calves using only grass hay. I would be interested in any comments!

It can work if you aren't in a panic to have Jan/Feb. calves. And in the long term it makes for a better cow. Seeing how these heifers are Herefords they will come around at a fairly light weight. If you are breeding for a late March/April calf they will have some time on grass and will really beef up. Well if it rains!

Comment

Make sure you feed test your grass hay for protein and energy. Protein can be variable and growing heifers require adequate protein for proper development. Next you can get a cattle nutritionist to check your ration to see if you need any additional protein or energy based on your hay's analysis.

Comment

I make part of my living selling replacement heifers each fall. Over the years I have tried to scimp on feed to save myself a buck or two, well it just does not work. In my opinion I do not like those pushed to hard over fat heifers going to grass and losing weight. But one needs to make sure that the female is properly grown. I recommend that one feeds some grain, it is important to insure proper reproduction for years to come and if it costs you a few bucks to have that heifer a few pounds bigger it is a small price to pay over the course of her life time. I have heard and seen many people that regret not feeding the females more when they are younger. You will also be surprised that the calves will not have their heads in a bale feeder all day if a little grain is fed. I also recommend giving them some protein and other supplements.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...