• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle Packers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle Packers

From Agriweek

<b>No dough
    The production side of the meat industry isn’t the only one stressed</b>

The federal government has categorically rejected calls made several weeks ago, including by the Canadian Cattlemens Assn. and the Canadian Meat Council, for financial assistance to packers forced by federal regulations to incur costs of removing specific risk material from carcasses of cattle 30 months or older.

American packers do not have these costs, which are estimated at $32 per carcass. There is no prospect that U.S. regulations will be tightened to match Canada’s. The rule has been in effect since 2007 to prevent the use of possible BSE-risk material in any animal feed, including pet food, and in fertilizer. Such material was previously rendered but must now be removed and disposed of in landfills or by incineration. The procedure is more costly than expected.

The CMC requested a payment of $31.70 per head for each animal slaughtered, or about $24 million a year on an over-30-month kill of 750,000 head. The packing industry received a total of $130 million in funding to offset the impact of the mad-cow crisis, some of which was intended to assist packing plants with developing procedures and making physical changes to accommodate the new SRM rule.

Cattle producers are paying for this excessive regulation. Packer bids are based partly on packing margins, which the SRM rule directly reduces. Low -ball local bids also reduce what American packers must pay to get Canadian cattle. If prices are reduced by $30 per head and U.S. processors avoid an additional cost of this size, it gives them a $60-a-head advantage over Canadian competitors. An industry source predicted 5% of Canadian packing capacity will be lost in the immediate future if there is no further compensation to offset the SRM regulations.

I think a 5% loss of packing capacity given these numbers is highly optimistic.

You can thank the federal government for once again making a bad situation worse.

Comment

Franny,Recently in New Brunswick,on business,a producer there told me that CFIA strives to inspect 100% of our export ag products.Fair ball I thought to maintain our standards.He also told me that they(CFIA) only inspect less than 2% of INBOUND ag products.Now,either there are a whole lot more gov`t jobs available or we are hypocritical in our own food safety and health!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.