• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swath Grazing and Sheep

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swath Grazing and Sheep

I am very interested in the possibility of introducing swath grazing into our Dorper sheep operation. We have a small acreage and would like to utilize it to the maximum.

Have other sheep producers used this? Are there nutrition or blot concerns associated with it in relation to sheep? Unfortunately, most of the information I have found so far has all been from the cattle producer.

I found this and thought you might be interested contacting these people:

Winter Swath Grazing Field Day
    Date: 12/11/2001
    Description: Starts at 1:30 pm Schreiner Farms is SW-19-11-19W3 and is 11 miles south on Hwy #37, 4 miles W, 1 mile S, ! mile W.

At the farm of Russell and Connie Schreiner Farm

(306) 662 - 5444
    bcardiff@agr.gov.sk.ca

Comment

Hi Jensco. Where do you live? I am in Central Alberta and just received a newsletter from the Grey Wooded Forage Association and it has a great article in it on swath grazing. It is written with respect to cows, but you could extrapolate for sheep I am sure. The article was written by Jake Kotowich, Production Economist - Livestock and Forages, Alberta Agriculture, Food and Rural Development. I'm sure you could contact him about the article and get more information from him. Here is his contact information:

Prod. Economist - Livestock
      Economics
      303 J. G. O' Donoghue Building
      7000 - 113 Street
      Edmonton, AB T6H 5T6
      Phone (780)422-3086
      Fax (780)427-5220
      Email jake.kotowich@gov.ab.ca

If you are calling from within Alberta, you can use the RITE Line, which is 310-0000 and then dial his phone number.
      Good luck.

Linda

Comment

Thanks for the sources! I'm in Manitoba and would have loved to have gone to the demo in Saskatchewan but we were tied up that day.

I would still like to hear from any shepherds out there using swath grazing. Anyone?

Comment

I am from Ontario, re-located from East Central Alberta and have tried swath grazing both ewes and lambs in both places. Mostly rye or winter wheat. Experienced some problems with very wet, warm winter here in Ont. Sprouting, moulding, dust, loss of quality etc. Always open to new ideas and conversation.

Comment

Swath grazing sheep does not sound like the way to go if the goal is to maximize return from a small acreage. Sheep will not utilize the coarse stems unless they are processed and mixed. My experience is that waste would be very high. With the current value of good feed it would be very hard to justify leaving it on the ground. Success would really depend on the species of forage grown, weather conditions and grazing management system used. It may be an expensive experiment unless you find someone with experience in your area.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.