• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restricted bids

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sawbones you always get me EXITED about the cattle business, it's not hard to get down on things. It's to bad our stores are getting meat from down South.WE HAVE TO GET STORES TO HANDLE IT AND INFORM CONSUMERS SOON. D.L.M.S is a part of N.B.I. Perhaps we set up a internet site of some kind of website to let producers know they can keep their own calve and fatten them, and get a possibe premium or at least have a choice . Where is Randys at ?

Comment

Randy's here but runin. Talking to Red Deer Chamber of Commerce about a site for the meeting. Should have something for you all next week. And yes there will be room for tables for anyone interested in taking back our industry "One Steak Holder at a Time."

Comment

I heard about this last week, also. May I say to Mr Terry Schetzsle and those with "Northwest Consolidation" - BRAVO!!

Mr. Pallett is correct, this is a flagrant violation of the Competition Laws, and is otherwise known as "rackateering" and "extortion".

Make sure this revelation is outed in every newspaper across Canada.

Yes, this IS a watershed moment for cattle producers. We cannot allow a perfectly legal and beneficial group, like Northwest Consolidated, to be threaten like this....

Comment

I agree absolutely Kathy but can we mobilize enough people to do anything about it? Are there enough people prepared to draw a line in the sand and say "no more"?

Comment

I think maybe the answer GF is yes. This issue resonates across party lines. I hope.

Comment

To a simple cattle supplier from the boonies this looks like big news. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely to the point where the holder feels invinceable. That letter should be enough to convict XL Lakeside of unfair trade. Hope we "producers" (suppliers of nutrients to higher life forms) can apply enough pressure on the political side to make that happen. Cheers

Comment

Really Per? do you think ABP/CCA etc will stand up and fight this battle after having backed Nilssons all the way thus far in their misguided belief in "free enterprise"? I can think of a few folks/groups who will stand up but I'm not convinced it will be an across the board effort.

Comment

Probably not GF but I am an idealist at heart. I will say however that I have a smidge of optimism for good things to come in our industry.

Comment

So what day do we stand up?
                    Where?
                    Pick one....legislature?

Comment

I had to put down a history book about the neighbourhood to read this thread...

If a law has been violated, its a crime.

Then there grounds for prosecution.

..... I get impressed everytime I read those old community history books... those pioneers had guts, and were tough...

Then go after those committing a crime and give em a fight they wish they didn't have... or would you rather be the next chapter...

I gotta a few bucks for a lawyer.... call me..

Comment

Who was that sleaze ball over in Regina that already has a class action filed against Toyota? I don't think you need any money, they just take a big share of the proceeds.

Comment

Just received a telephone call from my MP, had clipped and pasted Sawbones and cpallet.
                          For the competition bureau to act , it requires 6 people to ask for an inquiry.
                          So, what exactly are we asking, cpallet, for the Comp Bureau to look into? Make it the same, so there are no "outs" due to miswordings. Then all of us can send into competitionbureau.gc.ca

Comment

Perfecho, I don't have cpalletts knowledge of the issue but as far as I understand it needn't be too technical - all you are doing is raising their awareness of the issue so that they are compelled to launch an investigation. I would suggest just raising your concerns based on the evidence that has been posted in the media - how that restricts your marketing opportunities and how that might adversely affect your business. It might be worth adding in some background concerns like the fact the Moose Jaw plant was closed after the takeover of Lakeside.
                            It will be up to the investigation to decide whether the exact wording that may have been used in the communications with NWCBP contravenes the laws - I'm assuming you are not privy to the actual communications.
                            Give it a go anyway - I don't see a queue of industry organisations getting active on the issue.

Comment

You may recall that my advice was that you would be best served by 'a keen-eyed Alberta lawyer well versed in Competition Act issues'. Sadly, I do not fit into any part of that description apart from 'lawyer'.

Any response here requires careful, precise, intelligent and well thought out action. As grassfarmer has recognized, this mistake is not likely to be repeated.

May I respectfully suggest that the response is properly a matter for Northwest Consolidated Beef Producers and their counsel. Too many cooks, especially from outside the jurisdiction, spoil the broth.

Comment

I sure hope they are doing those investigations. Is my memory correct that they represent 188 producers? If so, then 188 requests for an investigation would hit the spot. Requests from the actual ones threatened would carry a lot more weight than anything we might say.

We sure live in interesting times......

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...