• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Times

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Times

In the area I live in there are a lot of subdivisions and rich hobby farmers. I guess the country sort of evolved around me. The old sense of community that was around when I was a kid has sort of evaporated. I am in the cattle business but it is impossible to expand as land prices here are in the $2000 /acre range. My great grandfather left England because he couldn't expand. Is it my turn now? This land is good cattle and grain country but also very good horse and recreational land. Is something wrong with this picture? Does it sort of make you wonder if agriculture has a future?

"Does it sort of make you wonder if agriculture has a future?"
    Cowman, At the present time it would seem to me that we are getting a clear message from the Canadian people (read Government)that providing cheap food is of the highest priority. Where this food is produced is of secondary importance. As long as food can be supplied to the consumer at a lower price from other countries (or corporations some of which have gross revenues that equal those of countries), we are at risk as an industry. However, as the food industry continues to consolidate and pricing is controlled by a handful of transnational companies, traditional economics will dictate that prices are determined by what the market will bear. We see this in the shelves of the supermarket.

However,on the other hand, I cannot see why the transnationals would like to take control of primary industry. Where would they find employees that would work without a union, pension, workmans compensation, who are on call 7 days a week without any wages let alone time and a half or doubletime, where all family members contribute to the labor pool at negligible or non-existent wages? Where would they find employees willing to risk upwards of a million dollars or more of their future in an industry that is at risk to vagaries of disease, weather, politics, the cattle cycle, etc.? It would seem to me the big players have the best of both worlds; they can set prices at the supermarket whereas the primary producer (read peasant)is denied any control of pricing their product. Most farmers that I know are highly skilled, hard working and intelligent. In any other business they would be moving on to other things. Most stay farming because they love what they are doing and they are good at it! As to the future of agriculture, maybe we should buy stock in Tyson.

Comment

You hit it right on the head Pandiana! Sometimes I think farming is like a disease or an addiction! Once you've got it you are in big trouble! What can we do? Plow along and try to keep our heads above water. Unfortunately I don't think there is a cure!

Comment

I hope we in agriculture take time to visit a soup kitchen in a city, help out at the food bank, assist single mothers trying to juggle housing, childcare and food expenses and really evaluate just how hard done by the farmer is in this day and age.

Most farmers I know live in a warm home, have lots to eat, have multiple vehicles, clothes on their backs, and jobs they enjoy (most of the time). I would hazard to say nearly all have microwaves, color TV's, washer dryer sets, and the support of their neighbors and friends.

In this time of recession in the cities, layoffs, bankrupcies, companies folding and downsizing the message coming out of agriculture seems a little too pessimistic for those who live with these concerns in the city.

And a look overseas to wars, starvation, aids, drought and I leave my arguement with this...

Lets count our blessings and not overstate the problems lest we be judged to be crying wolf one too many times.

Comment

You are right Nakado,BUT, if we don't get some moisture around here pretty quick a lot of farmers will be eating at the soup kitchen! This last years crop was grown on subsoil moisture and it is now gone. You'll hear wolf cried a lot next year if it doesn't rain, because he'll be at the bloody door!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.