• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hybriforce 400 Alfalfa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybriforce 400 Alfalfa

Anyone tried this alfalfa...and what did you think of it? Sure sounds good!

I've never grown it but I have heard good things from people that have tried it.

Comment

Its from Brett Young - a hybrid developed by Dairyland in Wisconsin. Grew 10 acres of it when it first came out. First two years with lots of rain it was awesome. Averaged over 7,000 lbs per acre both years. Then it got dry and it quickly died out. Expensive too. For a short term stand and if you get the moisture it is a very good choice. If you want a longer term stand or are in a drier area,try soemthing else as it will be just as good.

Comment

Well we usually get very good moisture. We do have a lower ph though 4.5 / 5.5 range. We have some land beside the piece we want to try the Hybriforce on and about half the field grows a great stand the other half it established but after 2 years has died out. I am planning on inoculating the seed when planting to give it a N boost. After its up good then I plan to Fertilize it well. N with P my question would be the phos be a pro or con. I have heard phos on the sead (like tag team) would not be good.??

Comment

Be careful with the fertilization. If it is a pure stand of alfalfa, then why bother even giving it N at all? It will make its own N. Phosphorus is not mobile, so unless you put it down with the seed, you are wasting your money. Never broadcast 12-51 it will be a total waste as it gets tied up by organic matter and lost.

Using jumpstart on the seed will help to use any phosphate you have in the ground which is tied up and unavailable. On a crop like alfalfa it works good. There is no risk to the seed at all.

Comment

Tag team by the way is for pulses - not for alfalfa. Tag Team has Jumpstart in it but also has the nitrogen fixing rhizobium as well. The rhizobiums are plant specific and will not work on alfalfa however.

You should call the BY rep in your area and they will help you out. Your slightly acidic soil may cause some issues especialy with the nitrogen fixing capability of the plant.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.