• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sand cracks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sand cracks

we seem to be seeing more sand cracks this year . am wondering if this could be due to mineral or vitamin deficiency or any other cause that can be attacked

It has been my experience this year after buying 42 purebred red angus cows, of which about 5 or 6 had sand-cracked feet as well as being long and starting to curl upwards. I had planned to get their feet trimmed up when they arrived but did not have the opportunity. I sent them out to lush pasture and provided plenty of free choice mineral which did not go far with these cows at first, over the next couple weeks they began to eat less and less minerals and we have also noticed that their feet no longer need trimming and all sandcracks are gone. Also watch their hair coat if the cows are shinny and sleek they are recieving enough minerals. Remember the cost of minerals is much less than the problems incured due to the lack of them!

Comment

I agree that minerals are very important. There's another theory floating around that they could be the result of a sudden change of feed...especially putting hungry cows out in the spring onto to a very lush green pasture which they are not used to. Having them full of hay when they hit the grass is supposed to help, according to an article I read in a farm paper. (which paper it was escapes me now..it's been quite a while since I read it) There is also some thought that genetics could play a role, but I'm not too sure about that one.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...