• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunters

Just last week I had a outfitting company phone me about hunting on some ladnd I own. I said "Sure how much are you paying?" He seemed quite put out that I would actually ask for money and proceeded to inform me that charging for hunting was against the law. So I told him I'm not charging for hunting I'm charging for access, the same way I do wih oil companys. I'm definitely not against hunting and always let the local lads have a go at it, but I figure if this guy is charging someone else then maybe I should get a little bit of the action. Is this wrong thinking?

Sounds entrepreneurial of you! Not to mention you could treat it as a rental type agreement (i.e. campsite or picnic access). It would offset any "upkeep" required on your land.

Why are you any different from a "hunting lodge or camp"? This is big business - especially for the trophy hunters.

Comment

I also wonder if one of these hunters accidently shot themselves if they could sue me? I have some sort of liability insurance that covers this sort of thing ,I think. I have a neighbor who had some drunk get killed on his place while riding a snowmobile. The dead guys family turned around and sued him. It got tossed out of court but not before he ran up some hefty legal bills and a lot of stress. Is it worth it? Maybe better not to let anyone on.

Comment

Another point well taken. Liability insurance can be expensive but I think the stress is much more harmful.

Bottom line...your land, your decision! A bright light there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...