• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric fencers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric fencers

I'm not a big fan of electric fences but am going to rotational graze some land next year. I do have a Bayguard 5100 that I use on some hayland. I'm quite satisfied with it. This land that I intend to rotational graze doesn't have a power source so I'm looking at getting a solar system. Any recommendations? Are the Gallagers worth the extra money?

Our farm is about 90% electric fence; about 40 miles. We started strip grazing and rotational grazing about 10 years ago, gradually replacing all barb wire and cross fencing large fields into small paddocks. We are using an AC PEL fencer which was the top of the line 10 years ago. Galagher and PEL were the two New Zealand imports. The domestic fencers at that time where miles behind as New Zealand really was the pioneer in this type of fencing. That was then. I can't really see why our domestic fencers wouldn't be as good although I can't speak from experience. Also, with more efficient solar panels it should be cheaper. A lot of the expense associated with electric fencing is in proper insulators. Definitely, Canadian made insulators are a whole lot cheaper and I would think comparable in service depending on the type (uv inhibitors). Rotational grazing has worked out exceptionally well for us, close to doubling our stocking rate at the same improving the grass.

Comment

Well I'm a little green when it comes to this "rotational grazing". I suppose I've always practised it but in a different way than I'm going to try. This is being done on orchard grass and alalpha(35%). I have laid out water lines and hope to pasture about 50 cow/calf pairs on 75 acres. Should I be fertilizing this pasture between grazings? If so how much?

Comment

We do not fertilize our pastures. Most are comprised of old tame pastures. However, we increased stocking rate gradually over time to our present numbers, letting the quality of the grass improve with time. It takes awhile. The key I believe is to make sure the grass is at least 6 inches high when catte move in and once grazed, not move back in until it has time to recover to that height. The smaller the pastures, the more completely all grass is grazed (not just the sweet spots). The result over time is that more species of grass are represented making your pasture more resistant to damage.

Comment

I use a combination of solar waterpumps and electric fencers and use the same solar panels to power both. It allows me to use the electric fencers in winter without having any water pumping equipment sitting idle over winter ( i.e. extra solar panels ) it just cuts the cost . I also have to get maximum production out of those pastures and fertilize along with rotational grazing. contact your local fertilizer dealer and ask about 21-0-0 bulk (fines). we have found excellent results even in dry conditions and its one of the cheaper types.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...