• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History or the Future

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History or the Future

In 1886 when Sears was started, farmers in rural America were selling their crops for cash and buying what they needed from rural general stores.

But when they laid their money on the line for goods, farmers saw red. In 1891 the wholesale price of a barrel of flour was reported to be $3.47. Price at retail was at least $7, a 100 percent increase.

Farmers formed protest movements, such as the Grange, to do battle against high prices and the "middleman."

Sears, Roebuck and Co. and other mail-order companies were the answer to farmers' prayers. Thanks to volume buying, to the railroads and post office, and later to rural free delivery and parcel post, they offered a happy alternative to the high-priced rural stores.

Years later the company adopted the motto "Shop at Sears and Save." Because farmers could do so in the 1890s, Sears prospered.

Will the internet be the next revolution for agriculture purchasing?

YES A BIG PART OF THE FUTURE, not the only part though!

Comment

It would sure help! I guess in a way it already is, in that we can get some price information there already.
      I don't know a whole lot about these "new generation co-ops" that are springing up in the U.S., but I would think they could work very well over the internet. Not anything like the old co-ops which have turned out to be a joke. You wouldn't need all the overhead a traditional co-op has.
      Farmers can't co-operate on fixing prices they recieve for their products but it sure would be nice if we could co-operate on getting input prices down.

Comment

Cowman, I hope the "over the internet co-ops" you refer to are something different than E-commerce. The best use of the internet and e-mail is to get people to take notice of your product.

Comment

I believe that producers will be purchasing crop inputs, mainly crop and animal protection products (low volume and high cost items) through internet. Internet will change purchasing process for farmers as it did change our way of purchasing items.
          The only difference between Sears and internet purchasing is, that internet is a tool to access many shopping channels and "shop for best price" while Sears was an alternative shopping channel resp. direct competition to General Stores.

Comment

Hi all, the internet is fast becoming a part of everyday life. Especially in Alberta where in the next couple of years every community in Alberta will be hooked up to high speed internet services. This tool, is just that, another tool. It is not just a purchase palace for e-commerce, but a point that can be used by business and individuals to come together in one place and share information (as we do in this forum) Exchanging information, storage of data, putting together marketing programs, analysis of data, and a key component of supply and value chains! The internet has now the tools needed to make your life much easier, most of the challenges come from a lack of information or information being given to you by someone that seems to speak another language (techno talk) Some people have even had challenges just keeping their basic programs running, but I am sure that if there were enough people that wanted to use the net more as a business tool (not just e-commerce) they could. If you are having computer problems now, or are interesting in more info and thoughts on how the future may look. Feel free to contact me direct as well valuechain@home.com.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...