• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried growing field horseradish

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried growing field horseradish

I was trying to find 3 or 4 mt for a client and could not find any? Is it hard to grow, harvest? Will a potato digger work?

Horseradish is a perennial crop and it takes 2-3 year before one can harvest it, depending on technology and growing conditions. Potato harvester will not work on horseradish as it has deep tap root system.

Comment

Thank you for the advice, I will see if the buyer will look at a long term contract. I understand the growers in Mb build a harvester with govt dollars and then were unable to find markets so maybe the machine is on sale?

Another example of "if you grow it, they may not come?"

Comment

I have a few Horseradish plants growing on my land. It has been there for several years, more than 5.
        How deep would the usable roots go down?

Is it so deep that one would require a machine such as a small backhoe?

Comment

Nakodo - I see your request is old but I thought I'd pass on some info - there are 2 large horseradish growers in S. Ont., one near Mt Pleasant (Brantford) and the other (Kytes) at Courtland (near Tillsonburg). Kytes used to grow over 20 - 40 ac and I am pretty sure their equipment was built by Geo. Robinson & Son, Courtland. Call George, he could help you out. BTW, Kytes Extra Hot was truly dangerous - but great! I also remember growers regularly using a Ca with a bit of B foliar feed (not CaCl)- it made the root white and solid. Hope this helps you.
          Frank in NS

Comment

The grower in the Brantford area that
            Frank was talking about is Wally Vanderstelt. The grower at Ancaste is Marshall.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.