• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spiritual Vignettes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual Vignettes

In response to my quarry "are farmers angrier than they used to be"? a rural pastor from the endge of the drought area writes "My work with farmers around this area suggests that anger has not yet set in. Some are depressed. Most are stoic, suffering in silence. The few who admit to being concerned at all still look forward to 'next year'. However, I have seen a small rise in family problems and in some just hanging around town. Also, at this time of year we usually see more men starting to attend church, but I haven't seen it happen yet. (It has been my experience that just when people need the solidarity of the church most, that is when they stop coming.) I would like to hear from others in the rural community how they interpret the present situation.

Joyce" you are right! Personally when hard times hit I tend to want to do it all on my own and don't want to rely on my father in heaven! It's a common problem of rebellious Man! Maybe someday I'll learn! Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Stress is a problem that faces all of us in one way or another. I know in my situation that I do not allways respond with the proper attitude when confronted by others. I find being a farmer during these times very frustrating, my temper will often be taken out on the ones I love. One of the first things that bother me when I am feeling overwelmed is the sense of what to do. Sometimes what we need to do is just talk but people unfamiliar with the lifestyle quite often say quit or get a job that pays. The other thing we hear is it will be o.k. God will take care. I understand why they say it but when one is feeling down sometimes they do not want anything else but a good listener. Perhaps at this point they need encouragement to keep on, not reasons to quit. When we keep things bottled up it is bound to come pouring out when unexpected.

Comment

These can be very frustrating times. I always figure it could be worse. We could be living in some hole like Kabul!
        God never promised us a rose garden, but he did promise us he would never give us more than we could bear and would always provide an escape hatch. Hard times and personal problems build character so that we become the person God wants us to be. It doesn't feel good but it is part of the big picture of what God wants from us. Have faith in the promises.

Comment

I agree cowman God never promised us anything special here on earth just have faith in him and we will be rewarded with eternial life in heaven. I think that where most of us get in trouble is when we take the farm problems on ourselves and try to solve them ourselves instead of taking them to the lord and laying them at his feet as he asks, he said he will gladly accept our burdens. I can speak from experience farm life dosen't get any easier if you do this, but living does.

Comment

Dales: You've pretty well got it right. I'm not a big fan of the idea God will solve your problems if you pray enough about it. But I do adhere to the message in James chp.1/ verse 5. Ask for wisdom.
            I truly believe what this verse says. And the good part is you don't even have to be a "Christian" as it clearly states that if "all men" ask it will be given.
            A good example of no special deal(here on earth) for believers is the life of the apostles. A lot better men than most of us here but they died terrible deaths. So why should we expect anything better?

Comment

Seems to me most of us are better off than we think we are. Someone mentioned that we could be trying to farm in Afghanistan. How true!

Farmers may even lose their property, and career, but in our society we very seldom starve to death if we do. We just complain as if we were going to die next week.

God has given us the gift of living and working in North America. We need to celebrate that.

karl

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.