• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will empty bins be the best investment into the 2021 harvest?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will empty bins be the best investment into the 2021 harvest?

Just thinking ....if you empty the bins prior to harvest and are careful on new crop sales ....what will the elevators be doing at harvest time?

Whether they are existing bins or new builds it may well pay to force the graincos hand...

Just throwing it out for discussion....no expert opinion from me...just thinking ahead...

BTW even if a guy is well off....isnt it time to empty bins...it has to be a money maker for some with deep pockets/SF3.

I'm sure most don't choose to carry much inventory usually. Bin build an investment.
    Have a neighbor selling 8 year old canola. I guess after tax hes still hitting $12 LoL.
    The fall price will be whatever basis off futures they need it to be. It's not a game show.
    By summer I will have sold for fall delivery as much wheat as sensible. Usual program.

Comment

bucket, I'd be really interested to know, just how much forward pricing is being done, particularly in canola and flax where currently there is a $5/bus spread. But also throw in the soil moisture concern, for such a large area of the prairies. Empty bins will be a good investment, especially if there happens to be a short crop due to drought.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
        bucket, I'd be really interested to know, just how much forward pricing is being done, particularly in canola and flax where currently there is a $5/bus spread. But also throw in the soil moisture concern, for such a large area of the prairies. Empty bins will be a good investment, especially if there happens to be a short crop due to drought.
        Forward pricing is very difficult when you see a plus 3 degree day and snow disappears very quickly...what's the saying about counting chickens before they hatch?
        Last edited by bucket; Feb 23, 2021, 09:51.

Comment

I thought the bins WERE empty? Suddenly when grain prices go up, they aren? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Forward pricing is very difficult when you see a plus 3 degree day and snow disappears very quickly...what's the saying about counting chickens before they hatch?
            Depends who you ask:

Scrooge McDuck said it this way, "Don't count your cheques before they're cashed".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrooge_McDuck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	770809

Comment

And no canola was prepriced from combine at $10

Comment

I've seen lots of early crop year empty standing yard bins that overnight end up as tree decorations.

Always delay emptying them as long as possible before the next harvest. Just running the odds.

Comment

I would think anchors cheaper than interest.

Comment

Sold some $6 barley today for march most bins will be going ting,ting,ting after that! Seed wheat,oats and barley for bin anchors least till may or maybe all summer if it don't rain in April. Manitoba weather guys talkin about how dry now and will take more than one weather event to make things better. The fun never stops !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.