• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas trouble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas trouble

Why would the natural gas stop working when it turned cold like the green side is claiming ?
    A legit question,

Ask Ted Cruz and all the Republicans because I am sure its their fault! LOL

Comment

That's Chuck's answer. Wow,

Green doesn't work if mother nature decides to **** with you. IF power was cut to most farms who would survive? For weeks on end.

Comment

Just a farmer but I can understand that the windmills have to turn and the panels have to be clean to work, I just don’t know what caused the gas to go down,

Comment

Originally posted by GOODRUM View Post
          Why would the natural gas stop working when it turned cold like the green side is claiming ?
          A legit question,
          Because wind and solar electricity were used to run compressors. When the temperature went down, most of texas uses electricity heat which everyone cranked up and caused a cascade effect on the system with both electricity and gas heating being shut down.

This is the level of idiocy we are at.

I cant believe a state like Tx went this far woke.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            Because wind and solar electricity were used to run compressors. When the temperature went down, most of texas uses electricity heat which everyone cranked up and caused a cascade effect on the system with both electricity and gas heating being shut down.

This is the level of idiocy we are at.

I cant believe a state like Tx went this far woke.
            Maybe stop drinking the QAnon KoolAid and switch to a strong cup of coffee. JFC.

It was wellhead freeze offs that caused the problem.

Comment

SF3 - let’s do a stress test and see who would survive if we cut the power to a city for a month during the cold snap and to the surrounding farms as well.

Hmmm... I have about 3000 gal of propane on hand, a stock pile of wood, an inverter (2x); and two generators. Could maybe get a large pto one running that grandpa had with some guidance from the electrician. If that is the case I should maybe get some more winter fuel on hand as I only have 750 gal at the moment.

Probably could get the old fuel furnace running that is in an old shed. But I have at least 6 small portable heating units that run on varying forms of energy. Oh yeah I forgot I have two frost fighter heaters - fuel and propane.

No solar panels, no windmills, no unicorns to provide fart power, no fairy dust.... I guess I am screwed. Latte drinking SJW for the win. I can admit defeat...

But... with the near by creek and my trackhoe perhaps this summer there could be some other options for seasonal power generation on a small level if this situation was permanent... Maybe just maybe if I can survive the month of -40 weather somehow in the root cellar with a candle I can be the come back kid and take the win.

Comment

Did someone on here not explain that with a reference to adding methanol when it get cold?
                Someone else told me the gas is poor quality but they get away with it normaly.
                Read in the Guardian it was not only renewables fault
                #1 the gas problem # 2 wind froze up #3 coal piles are frozen???
                What about that Woodland?
                Were they froze up over there?
                Big part was no interconnecttion for some profitability reasons?
                Texas is not on any type negotiated interconnect.

Sounds like mostly intermittent power is good but the companies were greedy and need more government oversight.
                And more mandated green energy.**

Comment

Yes. Wellhead freeze-offs.

They do not, as far as my limited understanding is concerned, have a sufficiently winterized infrastructure network.

-Lack of above ground insulation for well heads.
                  -lack of methanol injection.
                  -even their nuke plants didnt have proper heating/insulation/winterization to keep their cooling and steam systems operational so they scrammed one of the reactors.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                    Maybe stop drinking the QAnon KoolAid and switch to a strong cup of coffee. JFC.

It was wellhead freeze offs that caused the problem.
                    Bullshite, texas has under ground caverns just like we do in the event of supply being disrupted. With caverns and the line pack storage a place like Sask can go 3 days in the middle of winter without any new gas into the system.

The gas supply went down immediately as soon as the storm hit. Where was the line pack? Where was the cavern storage? The compressors went off line because of electricity rationing which was caused by 25% of the grid being run by renewables. The same storm hit in 2011 when renewables were only 10% of the grid and nothing happened then.

You need to wake the f up tweety and get some real world experience in something.

Comment

You can read about the nearly identical storm in 2011.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/us/05storm.html

Did TX have their facilities winterized back then and just stopped doing it?

What changed in the past decade? Oh I know, lets convert more of our electrical grid to intermittency cause climate change and try to heat homes with it.

Let me explain how a gas system works. Sask just went through 2 weeks of polar vortex with night time temps in the -45 range and windchills over that. Nobody lost gas, nobody had to turn their heat down. Why? Do you think they go to the well heads and turn them up when that happens? No, Because you store gas in caverns in the summer and draw it down in the dead of winters.

Its called energy storage. I cant believe some people still cant grasp this simple concept.

Comment

Originally posted by rtk View Post
                        sf3 - let’s do a stress test and see who would survive if we cut the power to a city for a month during the cold snap and to the surrounding farms as well.

Hmmm... I have about 3000 gal of propane on hand, a stock pile of wood, an inverter (2x); and two generators. Could maybe get a large pto one running that grandpa had with some guidance from the electrician. If that is the case i should maybe get some more winter fuel on hand as i only have 750 gal at the moment.

Probably could get the old fuel furnace running that is in an old shed. But i have at least 6 small portable heating units that run on varying forms of energy. Oh yeah i forgot i have two frost fighter heaters - fuel and propane.

No solar panels, no windmills, no unicorns to provide fart power, no fairy dust.... I guess i am screwed. Latte drinking sjw for the win. I can admit defeat...

But... With the near by creek and my trackhoe perhaps this summer there could be some other options for seasonal power generation on a small level if this situation was permanent... Maybe just maybe if i can survive the month of -40 weather somehow in the root cellar with a candle i can be the come back kid and take the win.

rtk - FTW!!!

Comment

I'll repeat what I posted for Chuck in the previous thread, because I don't think this simple explanation can be improved upon to explain why their infrastructure ( of all types) wasn't prepared for cold. Maybe he will respond this time.

Can you think of any reason why any region of the globe would be finding themselves unprepared for record cold temperatures, and unseasonable winter conditions?
                          Is there any theory that has been widely touted in recent decades that would make everyone complacent that these types of events are not going to occur now or into the future?
                          In fact, can you think of any widely held "beliefs" that might have caused most to be preparing for the exact opposite phenomenon?
                          Do you think if those who subscribed to this new theory had studied weather history, instead of wasting all of their resources and attention creating and relying on future climate models, they might have thought it prudent to prepare for weather such as this?

At some point, beliefs have to be tested against reality. That just occured for many, too early to know if the lessons will be learned.
                          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Feb 21, 2021, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Bullshite, texas has under ground caverns just like we do in the event of supply being disrupted. With caverns and the line pack storage a place like Sask can go 3 days in the middle of winter without any new gas into the system.

The gas supply went down immediately as soon as the storm hit. Where was the line pack? Where was the cavern storage? The compressors went off line because of electricity rationing which was caused by 25% of the grid being run by renewables. The same storm hit in 2011 when renewables were only 10% of the grid and nothing happened then.

You need to wake the f up tweety and get some real world experience in something.
                            Maybe stop reading the Proud Boys newsletters and step into the real world. You just dig deeper and deeper in the well of ignorance.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/pictures-of-texas-cold https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/pictures-of-texas-cold

Comment

"...The state’s grid operator said Feb. 15 that about 34 gigawatts of power were offline. But of that, about 4 gigawatts was due to problems with wind turbines. The rest came mainly from the state’s primary sources, natural gas and coal.

Dan Woodfin, a senior director for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, told Bloomberg that frozen gauges and instruments at natural gas, coal and nuclear plants cut into operations. Natural gas-fired plants also had to deal with low gas pressure in their supply lines..."

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/feb/16/natural-gas-not-wind-turbines-main-driver-texas-po/ https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/feb/16/natural-gas-not-wind-turbines-main-driver-texas-po/

"...The systems that get gas from the earth aren’t properly built for cold weather. Operators in West Texas’ Permian Basin, one of the most productive oil fields in the world, are particularly struggling to bring natural gas to the surface, analysts said, as cold weather and snow close wells or cause power outages that prevent pumping the fossil fuels from the ground.

“Gathering lines freeze, and the wells get so cold that they can’t produce,” said Parker Fawcett, a natural gas analyst for S&P Global Platts. “And pumps use electricity, so they’re not even able to lift that gas and liquid, because there’s no power to produce.”

Texas does not have as much storage capacity as other states, experts said, because the resource-laden state can easily pull it from the ground when it’s needed — usually..."

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/natural-gas-power-storm/ https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/natural-gas-power-storm/
                              Last edited by dmlfarmer; Feb 21, 2021, 10:09.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.