• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we near the top For Land.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we near the top For Land.

Hearing rumblings some investors are tired, fed up, no more big profits. Yes some smaller players are getting out. Some farmer friendly investors are waking up and realizing profit is min in farming and pulling funding or saying sell.

Some banks are getting nervous.

Taxes now been added over and above rent.

Farmers are buying land that a few years ago they said was to expensive now are buying same land and paying way more.

More buyers than sellers.

Diff between Alberta Manitoba and sask for land.

So is the top here?

You would have to define the time frame. Inflation adjustment yada yada.
    But a pause? Yes I think so. Area dependant. For how long?? Depends on political machinations.
    Short term, no big upswing here in a season or two. Softening for quality.
    $4250-$5000 in general for 2-3 years now depending on circumstance.
    Funny how FCC keeps reporting it as up in value every year. How does that work??
    Provincial averages include close urban and irrigated I guess.

Comment

I see Chinese selling and now farmers buying. Some investors ar getting nervous.

Comment

Land prices will trend up until we see a interest hike.

Comment

Never was any investors foreign or domestic here.
          Last edited by blackpowder; Jan 18, 2021, 19:59.

Comment

Look at the major realty agencies' listings ....or look in the WP for some of the land for sale ...it may tell a story that saskfarmer is highlighting....

Andjelic has land listed...there is a firm out of Toronto with land for sale...Canterra has land for sale...etc etc...My guess is they want to extract their gains....

Pretty sad when the money to made farming is by selling the land...when the real value in the flip ...why farm??? Why buy all the machinery to make thin margins when the real money is in buying and selling land , not fertilizer fuel and seed?

Comment

No increase in interest rates. $15 canola, $6 barley, $8 wheat. Land prices are not going down near term.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Look at the major realty agencies' listings ....or look in the WP for some of the land for sale ...it may tell a story that saskfarmer is highlighting....

Andjelic has land listed...there is a firm out of Toronto with land for sale...Canterra has land for sale...etc etc...My guess is they want to extract their gains....

Pretty sad when the money to made farming is by selling the land...when the real value in the flip ...why farm??? Why buy all the machinery to make thin margins when the real money is in buying and selling land , not fertilizer fuel and seed?
                Selling for profit before something else happens in the near future ? Because they know what’s coming?

Just interesting when big money starts to leave the market, any market .

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post
                  No increase in interest rates. $15 canola, $6 barley, $8 wheat. Land prices are not going down near term.
                  I agree. There is likely a round of hungry buyers chomping at the bit now.

Have to wait for the stimulus money to land in land and commodities. That could take a few yrs yet. And see what these grain markets are really telling us. Is this just a temp supply blip or something more chronic developing.

But again, where do you go with the proceeds? I wouldnt sell all my land to go into the stock market. 20% of our net worth is enough in there.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    Selling for profit before something else happens in the near future ? Because they know what’s coming?

Just interesting when big money starts to leave the market, any market .
                    I feel that we are targets for that capital gains exemption elimination. Its the easiest tax change to make. Some are seeing that as a risk. I dont trust Trudeau at all.

Longer term, wealth or inheritance taxes and carbon taxes.

Bidens first day in office and we see it already. Trudeau is emboldened.

Comment

Who needs investors to keep the price of land up?
                      We all have neighbours who are doing a pretty good job of it on their own.
                      Canola at $15, and flax at $20 can do crazy things to a guy.
                      When cash rent is $125 in some areas, buying land for 500k seems cheap.

Comment

I am not sure where everyone else sits, probably bigger farms than mine, but if I sold out tomorrow and invested the proceeds in my lenders stock, I would make more money than farming it.

Talk about a catch 22. What the hell do you do with those economics? Pretty out of whack.

Comment

Yes rent is insane now in most of sask.

Step back look at the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            I am not sure where everyone else sits, probably bigger farms than mine, but if I sold out tomorrow and invested the proceeds in my lenders stock, I would make more money than farming it.

Talk about a catch 22. What the hell do you do with those economics? Pretty out of whack.
                            I would think the majority of farms if they sold out would have more than enough equity to never work again, even though while running the farm, lots may have trouble making ends meet. Doesn't really make sense.

I have also criticized buyers of farms thinking if they had that much money why would they risk it farming? Well if I work that backwards now I have to ask that of myself.

Spoke to a realtor last week, lots of land moving to both farmers and individuals looking to park money, some land selling above listing prices with multiple offers.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                              I feel that we are targets for that capital gains exemption elimination. Its the easiest tax change to make. Some are seeing that as a risk. I dont trust Trudeau at all.

Longer term, wealth or inheritance taxes and carbon taxes.

Bidens first day in office and we see it already. Trudeau is emboldened.
                              The exemption is one thing. What if they mess with the inclusion rate. Was 75% at one point in history.....

Farmers would have a farm sale years ago and never use all their capital gains exemption. Now one quarter bought in the 60’s pretty much uses it all up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.