• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian grain act ...review

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian grain act ...review

I haven't read all the details but would like a discussion here to shorten that effort...

A few things I would like to see....

1. You dont leave an elevator without a paper copy of the unload or at least accessible via smartphone.

2. You can lock in protein spreads at time of contract signing or have the option to leave that open ...although lately it doesnt matter in durum.

3. better reporting from the CGC

4. A code of practice for grain companies to know how to properly grade grain and have routine exams....with certification of those buying my grain.....That is a rebuttal for the code of practice for farmers...

5. There should be more offices of the CGC..this idea of Saskatoon and Weyburn discourages the use of CGC

6. Payment available at scale ...not 15 working days after the fact...

7. When signing contracts with graincos the railways can be notified of future required cars....

Mandatory sales reporting to an independent regulator...

Some of the above may not be relevant ...just starting the conversation.

I like the email of the unload but sometimes emails just disappear. Txt is go too. When I unload water or oil to secure. I just send them a pic of the bill of laden and they send me a pic of the unload. Trucking is going to electronic dispatch. Make up the paperless bill of laden , elevator fills in the unload results, etransfer cash to your account.
    I like dealing with a good elevator. Saves a lot of stress

Mandatory sales reporting should be mandatory

Comment

You know it's funny, the first time I got one of these grain purchase agreements, not that many years ago, I did like a person would do with any normal contract, like say a building lease or some thing like that. I scratched out all the lines or sentences that I didn't like, and initialed the change, and added a few of my own conditions. Well when I presented this to the grain buyer he was floored. He told me you don't have the option to change the contract, you sign it as it is, and if you didn't sign the contract I would never sell grain there again.
      OK, now I see farmers face, so now I just make extra sure of my grade, delivery points and as many things as I do have control over as I can. What else can a person do?

Comment

Bucket Some of what you are asking for is already in the existing ACT it is the enforcement part that is lacking. When Ritz closed the Office of Assistant Commissioners instead of opening A Grain Farmers Advocacy office he screwed you.

1- Is handled but not enforced in SEC 61 (1) of the act.

4- Is handled but not enforced in SEC 61 (2) The prescribed manor is in the Regs and described in the Grain Guide.

5- CGC had lots of offices and were looking at more until inward inspection was done away with. Now independant 3rd party paid for by the grain company. When CGC used to go on site to load cars at elevator it not only guaranteed that what was needed at coast was what was going to be there when needed to load waiting ships it also was helpful to elevators on learning proper grading procedures as they would often be watching inspectors and asking questions.

It is the CGC's mandate to enforce the ACT are they doing that is the question? You can change the ACT all you want but will it get enforced?

Comment

We get paper receipts at both elevators I deliver to, am hearing that's not the case everywhere. One requires my signature, the other does not. Over the years lots of times I'm visiting and dont pay close enough attention. I have had 3 loads this winter I have made them make a change to the receipt while sitting in the driveway. 2 were incorrect tare weights, realize there is some scale fluctuations with wind etc but these were excess of 100kgs and not in my favour. The third was 11.9 dockage instead of 1.9. Not suggesting these were intentional just saying you cant just leave it and hope for the best.

Comment

Viterra sends instant email of unload. Pioneer has paper. If weigh/dockage/grade out of whack both have been quick to correct. Happy so far. Yes not much a peasant farmer can control.

Comment

Never leave without scale ticket. One grainco i was hauling too lost a 42 tonne load on their computer system. We were able to provide time,date,and our load copy. Just for laughs try buying a load from a grainco without any papertrail.

Comment

Grain graders should all be certified and even licensed (like mandatory Class 1 A drivers). They should all be held accountable as well as their direct bosses for irregularities, grade, moisture, protein, dockage, etc

CGC does have a roll to play, enforcement.

Producer car loading facilities should be encouraged in the new Grain Act, if for nothing else a price discovery mechanism for farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                  Grain graders should all be certified and even licensed (like mandatory Class 1 A drivers). They should all be held accountable as well as their direct bosses for irregularities, grade, moisture, protein, dockage, etc

CGC does have a roll to play, enforcement.

Producer car loading facilities should be encouraged in the new Grain Act, if for nothing else a price discovery mechanism for farmers.
                  The CGC is in charge of administering and enforcing the Grain Act. Google and read Sec 105, 106 and 107. Then ask why 107 has never been enforced if they know that elevators are miss representing quality including dockage. Just read it how many employees would keep misrepresenting if they knew they were liable.

Comment

Well, without research here goes.
                    Educate me later.
                    Divorce CIGI and CGC if it isn't already.
                    Producer associations should be more responsible for the industry, or get no funding. They really have no power at all right now. Put them in charge of making CIGI pay for itself. Something like it is needed. Remove the need to have federal ministerial approval for anything.
                    100 years and we still wait for Ottawas' blessing and funding.
                    Then burn the CGC to the ground.
                    From the ashes: Have a weekly export figures. My God how hard could it be?? Dollar figures are private info.
                    Simplify grading method. Modernize it. Align it with buying specs. Reduce reliance on KVD. Got to be a way.
                    SGS and Intertec already do the work under contract. Just monitor.
                    If you want to lock in a grade spread months ahead you will be paying for that risk somehow. Keep CGC out of it.
                    License buyers as now. Apply credit insurance. That industry will charge accordingly to the buyers score.
                    Covid has hastened paperless contract and delivery info. Great, we have the technology.
                    Empty their bank account. Move them to Saskatoon or somewhere out of that govt town. Start over.
                    Hasn't been looked into since '71?
                    Stockholm Syndrome??
                    Get the federal politics out of it.
                    Have it earn it's budget directly from the industry on fee for service. Annual reporting.
                    Just some quick ramblings without flesh. Start shooting lol.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      Have it earn it's budget directly from the industry on fee for service.
                      I think service fees are how the CGC got to have 130 million laying around. They say they are working on it

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                        I think service fees are how the CGC got to have 130 million laying around. They say they are working on it
                        Yup, we'll see that money again.
                        Charging the rate for stuff they no longer do.

Value for the dollar on necessary services. Published. Paid by the grain buyer.

What do you do with a building that's so old it's foundation is rotten and hasn't had renos in fifty years? Dig a pit beside it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                          Yup, we'll see that money again.
                          Charging the rate for stuff they no longer do.

Value for the dollar on necessary services. Published. Paid by the grain buyer.

What do you do with a building that's so old it's foundation is rotten and hasn't had renos in fifty years? Dig a pit beside it.
                          Let it collapse inside itself....the pit for it to fall into is already there.

Comment

There is alot wrong with the CGC . While they claim on radio yesterday to providing information to farmers over the last 100 years ...it seems the information is neither timely or easily accessible.

In the 1970s it might be reasonable to wait for the Western Producer to report the information but in todays world there is no reason to be months behind and secretive about grain movement and accurate data that should be at farmers fingertips...

Its not the Chuck Penner's and the Marlene Boersch paying for the CGC ...its farmers....and I really dont like the fact i have to hear it from them first at a cropshere presentation...with their deer in the headlights presentation...

Comment

What do farmers want? Do they want the elevators to set the rules and run the whole thing their way? Just close the CGC office.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.