• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Nutrien is going to pay you for Carbon Credits.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Nutrien is going to pay you for Carbon Credits.

Looks like the companies are ready to fleece farmers again with BS programs to screw us for their good.

Yep its not like the USA and Cargill with 60 Canadian to farmers in Iowa.

Nope, it's $20 to you and guess what with the fertilizer you will buy and the math shows you'll make an extra $30 an acre so MR Stupid farmer your actually getting $50.00 an acre.

In Make believe dollars.

Why in Canada cant farmers just get paid a fair price.

Nope read the fine print you **** up they go after you and take the farm.

What a ****ing country.
    Last edited by SASKFARMER; Dec 2, 2020, 08:55.

Soooooooo, did cash rent just go up another $20-30/acre?

Comment

Nutrien is so far out of the market here not sure how doors stay open ?

Comment

The issue of who pays the carbon credits and keeps track of farming practices is simple IMHO...

If you are in crop insurance they will have your seeding intensity in percentage over your acres....and they have your data...thats step ONe

Step two is the fact that it is the federal government imposing the tax and its rate...

Step 3 is determining the sequestering rate...scientists and everyone believe science have determined those figures

The formula is STEP1 X STEP 2 X STEP 3 = payment to farmers

So between crop insurance knowing your seeding intensity X the rate of the carbon tax X the tonnes per acre sequestered EQUALS the payment to farmers.

Then the government can collect the large emitters carbon tax and funnel it back to farmers using the above formula....

I pay the carbon tax on fuel so my emissions are covered but my sequestering is not accounted for....

Now let bureaucrats add the complications to it...

Comment

Having private companies do their own carbon credit program is bullshit because they can find a way for farmers to pay for it thinking they are getting something back....

Government imposed this nonsense they should administer it as well...meaning the should tax the emitters and rebate the sequestering...

All the pieces to do it and the required data is held within government agencies already....

Comment

Wouldnt it be nice if they actually paid farmers for doing what we have done for 37 years or more. I am sick of the BS where it's always everyone else and we get the scraps.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              Nutrien is so far out of the market here not sure how doors stay open ?
              They stay open because a good percentage of older farmers still equate Nutrien to the Pool, just like they do with Viterra.

Comment

They could scrap Agristabilty and implement a carbon credit program that is fair because it is a per acre payment.....size doesnt matter....farming practices do...

And far simpler to administer....

Example...1000 acre farm with a 99 percent seeding intensity and a 50 dollar per tonne carbon tax rate and 0.5 tonnes per acre sequestered.....is about 24.75 dollars per acre...
                if my math is correct

And as the carbon tax goes up so does the payment...

Of course people will have to report when they are working the ground but I dont see that as an impediment to get this going....

Its an equalizer as well because when the irrigators than grows beans or potatoes and have to work the land they become an emitter to pay to the dryland continuous crop farmer...

Wide angle view...

Comment

After reading the news release it looks to me that it is nothing more than a gimmick to sell a larger suite of products and services to farmers, going to benefit Nutrien far more than the farmer imo!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                    After reading the news release it looks to me that it is nothing more than a gimmick to sell a larger suite of products and services to farmers, going to benefit Nutrien far more than the farmer imo!
                    This carbon credit issue is something that should be handled by government....WHY you ask...because they hold the required data of the emitters and they know the data of the sequestering that they haven't paid for....

They have to be the regulator , setting the rates which they do already ,, but do you expect private companies to pay up for emissions ???? IMHO it would be like the abandoned well issue...

A company emits they pay....a farmer sequesters they are paid...you dont need multiple companies doing the same thing...nickle and diming farmers...like Nutrien is trying to pull over ...

Comment

Ham I agree with you after reading the release its a basket of make-believe and some cash to farmers. Its a joke.

Also Yes one Group Crap insurance maybe pays it out. No games nail the emitters and pay the guys that store.

Enough of the games.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                        Ham I agree with you after reading the release its a basket of make-believe and some cash to farmers. Its a joke.

Also Yes one Group Crap insurance maybe pays it out. No games nail the emitters and pay the guys that store.

Enough of the games.
                        Unless you are privately insured on your crops..small percentage of farms..in order to have accurate records on seeding intensity....every company that pops up will want your data from crop insurance....I am not comfortable with everyone accessing my crop insurance. ...it reports fertilizer use , yields etc....that shouldn't be free data.

Just let crop insurance handle it...they have the data collection and historical records system in house already...
                        Last edited by bucket; Dec 2, 2020, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                          Wouldnt it be nice if they actually paid farmers for doing what we have done for 37 years or more. I am sick of the BS where it's always everyone else and we get the scraps.
                          My concern with these silly programs is will there be fines or taxes for land improvements.....read the fine print. Signing any of these contracts similar to the Viterra program could be asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                            My concern with these silly programs is will there be fines or taxes for land improvements.....read the fine print. Signing any of these contracts similar to the Viterra program could be asking for trouble.
                            But maybe some of the land improvements are not quite what they seem...draining land on to the neighbours might seem like a great improvement for the farmer doing it....but it really just compounds the problem...without having a 30000 foot level look at what could be a good plan...

Off topic but government has the opportunity to do so much more as far as land improvements or conversely looking at the opportunity for just leaving it as is...

Thats why the US has land conservation programs....you get paid to leave as is...

Maybe Canada has the option to make a workable program based on other countries experience...

sorry....back to the regularly schedule program....I am talking in bizarro world..parallel universe...

Comment

They pay one dollar, we will pay another two, 😬

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.