• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracked hoof

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked hoof

One of my cows is limping around. One of her front hooves is cracked vertically all the way to the hairline. What should I do?

If you can find a hoof trimmer in your area that would probably help. Do her toes seem long?

Either way they’ll be able to help Id think, give better advice. Maybe block the foot.

I’ve had cows with vertical cracks but they’re never lame for long and seem to grow it out quick enough.

I do know that hooves will reflect stress in the animals life. Illness, feed, storms, etc can be seen in horizontal lines that can weaken the hoof. Maybe give her a vitamin and mineral dose to help her get good, new hoof growth.

Comment

It’s most likely sand cracks. Usually we let Cargill deal with them. You need to gouge or “V” out the crack so the dirt doesn’t get in them and keep working deeper worsening the crack. It will then grow out and hopefully they don’t return. YouTube is fantastic as a resource 😉

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.