• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elemental Sulphur

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elemental Sulphur

Anyone doing any work with broadcasting elemental S in fall? We're brand new the game, and our retailers have little to no experience.

We have some Tiger 90 booked and were planning on spreading it this fall, but winter seems to have arrived with snow and below freezing temps now and for the 10 day forecast. Can we spread in conditions like this, or should we be waiting for bare soil at least? Or is next spring our best option?

Have been deep banding T 90 and now nutriasul since 2007.
    Neighbors spread before NH3 app.
    Awesome product..

Comment

Be careful with elemental sulfur. It is very unpredictable in how fast it breaks down. If you have decent sulfur levels in your soil and apply it every 1-3 years it will help keep levels up and S release will probably be consistent from previous applications. If you have low S levels in your soil, I would look for a different fertilizer as the risk of poor S release from the elemental S is too high.

I split 2 fields 10 years ago and floated on 1/2 of each field with 300 lbs of Tiger 90 elemental S in November on the frozen bare soil surface. Tested each 1/2 of the fields separate for the last 7 years and there is no difference in the S levels on the soil tests between the treated and untreated. Soil sampled to 2' deep in a 0-6" and 6-24". See no difference in any of the crops in the last 10 years. I don't know where it went. If it was breaking down shouldn't it show up on a soil fertility test? Perhaps it needs small amounts applied every 2nd year?

I did float a few passes of AMS fines in the one field at the same time and they showed up as higher levels for 3 years on the soil tests. Not sure what the right answer is.

Comment

We have used it for more than 10 years. Just blow it on and leave it. Don’t need to be incorporated. We generally put 60-70 lbs on and hope to have half of that available for the next crop year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...