• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The next 14 days

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next 14 days

Well took a quick look at the 14 day weather forecast for my area and it looks quite chilly. Only 5 days out of the next 14 with a forecast high over zero and not by much! Warmest day is a +3 and that is on Nov. 1. One of my Grandpa’s favourite sayings referring to winter weather was “It’s a bastard Canada” and yes I would agree sometimes it is lol!

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
    Well took a quick look at the 14 day weather forecast for my area and it looks quite chilly. Only 5 days out of the next 14 with a forecast high over zero and not by much! Warmest day is a +3 and that is on Nov. 1. One of my Grandpa’s favourite sayings referring to winter weather was “It’s a bastard Canada” and yes I would agree sometimes it is lol!
    cows are acting stupid the last couple days and I want them out as long as possible....

Comment

Was hoping to save some good fall grazing close to home for mid November.Cows are restless in their pastures right now.Better finish hauling bales if the cows know something about an early winter.Hoping for no big amounts of early snow cause I stubble graze for a month then corn graze a month before starting to feed hay bales totally.

Comment

I figured we still had a week of pasture before needing to get into alfalfa, that changed abruptly with almost a foot of snow. Alflalfa only froze for the first time about a week ago.

I am hanging my hopes on Accuweather's long long term forecast. They have most of November as above 0 temperatures, and very dry. Not that they have a track record of having a clue that far out.

In my observation, no one ever seems to forecast a Chinook until it is almost upon us, they always seem to be a surprise. I expect the same will happen at some point yet.

Ground was still warm when it snowed, the snow is insulating it from freezing, and it is still mid October, so the days are longish, and sun is high(ish), compared to November, so there is lots of heat to melt the snow.
        It seems highly unlikely that this is the end, but it sure feels like it with these temps.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          I figured we still had a week of pasture before needing to get into alfalfa, that changed abruptly with almost a foot of snow. Alflalfa only froze for the first time about a week ago.

I am hanging my hopes on Accuweather's long long term forecast. They have most of November as above 0 temperatures, and very dry. Not that they have a track record of having a clue that far out.

In my observation, no one ever seems to forecast a Chinook until it is almost upon us, they always seem to be a surprise. I expect the same will happen at some point yet.

Ground was still warm when it snowed, the snow is insulating it from freezing, and it is still mid October, so the days are longish, and sun is high(ish), compared to November, so there is lots of heat to melt the snow.
          It seems highly unlikely that this is the end, but it sure feels like it with these temps.
          Completely agree but also felt that last year and we were wrong. How many years as a kid we kept hoping for snow for Christmas. Last 10 yrs snow has been earlier and stays longer.

Still got 300acres to combine here. Half the cows at home feeding and the other half grazing alfalfa that should last a month if the weather cooperates.

Comment

Below 0 the last four days and nothing forecast for much above 0. Doing some water management projects and if you leave the the shinny ground over night it is hard in the morning. Most falls we can do field work until at least Nov. 1

Comment

“Almost a foot of snow”, yikes it always amazes how much different the weather results can be only a few hours away.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                Below 0 the last four days and nothing forecast for much above 0. Doing some water management projects and if you leave the the shinny ground over night it is hard in the morning. Most falls we can do field work until at least Nov. 1
                Are you using a sc****r?

We usually go till Nov 1 too and Remembrance Day once in a blue moon. We got to build a pad for a calving shed yet and some other landscaping projects yet too. The disking seems harder by the hour for some reason..........

Have to overlap every pass to make the first pass going downhill. Creative fieldwork but the last field after this is mostly level. Have to do the outer rounds first so it don’t slide in the bush while turning.

Lots of fun
                Good luck everyone wrapping things up 🍀

Comment

Wow I can’t even say s c r a p e r..........

This site can be quite anal at times ......... wonder if that’ll come through 😉

Comment

If you get 6inches of snow cover now the ground won't freeze till December. Landscaping not sc****r.
                    Last edited by 6V53; Oct 18, 2020, 22:21.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                      Are you using a sc****r?

We usually go till Nov 1 too and Remembrance Day once in a blue moon. We got to build a pad for a calving shed yet and some other landscaping projects yet too. The disking seems harder by the hour for some reason..........

Have to overlap every pass to make the first pass going downhill. Creative fieldwork but the last field after this is mostly level. Have to do the outer rounds first so it don’t slide in the bush while turning.

Lots of fun
                      Yes I am using one of those machines. Bit of an antique but it does the job and works good.

Tomorrow i will try and get a picture.

Comment

Are you using a sc****r?

Lots of fun
                        She’s almost in shape to grow lentils.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                          She’s almost in shape to grow lentils.
                          I’ve never even seen a lentil crop and only know a bit about them .............. I think I sense some sarcasm though. 😉

Comment

I’ve never even seen a lentil crop and only know a bit about them .............. I think I sense some sarcasm though. 😉
                            I stopped and looked at some lentils crops in Regina area last year. They were about ankle high, and the seeds started at ground level. Not sure if that was normal, or because it was dry. But if you seeded them into that ground in the picture, the ones in the bottoms of the lumps wouldn't reach the tops of the lumps.

Comment

I stopped and looked at some lentils crops in Regina area last year. They were about ankle high, and the seeds started at ground level. Not sure if that was normal, or because it was dry. But if you seeded them into that ground in the picture, the ones in the bottoms of the lumps wouldn't reach the tops of the lumps.
                              So when the rocks are over your ankles tall do you harvest those as well? I think I’ll stick with canola for this field so I don’t have to scalp the ground...........

Not feeling too adventurous out in the hills and muskeg currently 😉

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.