• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blathin may be of interest

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blathin may be of interest

FYI were up against it always fighting back

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8845911/Farmers-force-BBC-remove-biased-meat-production-iPlayer.html https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8845911/Farmers-force-BBC-remove-biased-meat-production-iPlayer.html

Too bad our farm groups here all seem ineffective.

Comment

House of Lords voted this week to allow imports from countries who use intensive farming methods. That clip is no longer such a stretch for what UK citizens may find on their shelves in the future.

However it still breeches the BBC policy. Not sure I know of any other broadcaster who functions with an impartiality standard.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        Too bad our farm groups here all seem ineffective.
        I have been in touch with the Grain Farmers of Ontario on the Clean Fuel Standard issue lately.

It pains me to say that even that organization is sounding pushed to the limit as what to do.

Comment

Traveeled a bit over the years sweden denmark switzerland germany canada usa , uk a little.

Can help but notice lack of butcher shops and or small slaughter houses.

My small town 28 kms away maybe 1100 people has one butcher shop oneprivate butcher that does bulk only and a slaughter house.

Big town 46 kms away has 4 butchers and 2 meat wholesalers who kinda sell paddock to plate meat then of course 4 super markets which are done by thebig packers.

My local small town 500 butcher shop closed about 12 yrs ago old guy retired had it on market nobody took it on. Probably not enough volume.

Supermarket meat is crap, lump os steak or lamb placed on a snot tray, probably killed proceed packed with in 30 hours hours no hanging time etc. slimey shit.

We still kill lamb on farm for own use. Quite legal, rules state can be only consumed on farm or by family members not for sale. Beef the same.

Comment

I used to have 2 small slaughterer plants within 5 min of me.

One had 5 workers and the other had 4.

Probably another 1/2 dozen choices within an hours drive.

I'm still lucky to have one nearby with mostly only the people that own it and 1 or 2 part time.

BSE regulations smothered about 1/2 of the old guys that were close to retirement.

When Lakeside/NB had some kind or sanitary problems and lots of bad publicity including an extended shut down the media riled up the public calling for more inspectors and more government over-site. Didn't hurt the big plants but took out probably 1/2 of what was left of the small operators who couldn't or wouldn't live with the paper etc.

By the time BSE played out there just weren't many cattle left in this area. Grain was much more attractive and anything that will grow a crop got sprayed out and seeded.

I don't like to piss and moan about it all because I really enjoyed raising cattle, but I think if you needed 500 button tags in this area you would have to order a week ahead. Nobody even carries much for cattle supplies.

I'm too old and slow to process cattle now. Last time I did my pick of the heifers run me over an broke my leg. I was lucky my nephew was there to take control.

Last one out, turn out the lights.
            Last edited by shtferbrains; Oct 17, 2020, 18:53.

Comment

Yeah forgot your base dramas.

Yep I’m a 63 vintage can’t do Shai used to

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.