• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grass Fires

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grass Fires

A famous California winery burnt down when a 20 acre grass fire expanded into a 11000 acre vegetation fire. How does this happen? A 20 acre fire didn’t start at 20 acres. Doesn’t anyone make fire guards? Doesn’t anyone have fire fighting equipment? Man, when your winery is in the middle of dry vegetation, what would anyone with a brain do? Driving the combine home past rural farmyards, they have cultivated fireguards around their yards. But we’re just dumb farmers.
    Last edited by sumdumguy; Sep 28, 2020, 19:37.

The govt will protect me

Comment

Try to keep this short........

Kangaroo Island you may have seen last year was ablaze.

We went over to see friends who got burnt out and support tourism , but could be cynical a token gesture.

Anyway went fishing with a school friends dad out on his boat. His son in law happens to be mayor of kangaroo island told me many farcical stories about the fire.

This guy is well respected and known all over the island.

Wegot talking about the day the fire broke out, in heavyily wooded area to west of island maybe 20 % of island. In a nationalpark lightning strike.

The long term parkranger who had been retired for about 3 years lives on a small farm adjoing the park who happens to have a ultra light.

He saw the lightning strike and smoke and was airborne with 7 minutes to check it out some rain had fallen.

He gps area burning about 10 to 15acres his guess but going nowere fast.

He rang local cfs, community fire brigades here voluntary. Told them get here as asap told them which tracks to go on bring dozer and get every effing farmer ya can with fire units on the utes or pick ups.

The cfs then made fatal mistake of telling national parks who had no idea whats going on and no idea there wasa fire. Under no circumstances is anyone to enter park until “experts“ fly in from mainland. Think about 6 hours. Well rest is history lives lost stock losses almost 100,000 no lie. All because greeny climate change advisors wouldnt let locals in there.

Reccomendation in this park is fire breaks burnt and dozed at i think 10 km intervals and 600 metres wide and in some sort of grid pattern.

Common sense may prevail. Wildlife loss huge livestock huge buildings houses life fences hay pastures list goes on.

When it was a tiny fire in it infancy.

Comment

Geez Mallee, that’s a maddening story but totally real, I am sure. Guess its better to just keep your mouth shut and go where wise men fear to go. 🐎 Locals around here with tractors, graders, fire trucks and no way a fire goes more than a few hundred acres.

I am surprised this year, with thousands of acres of dry, dry stubble, I haven’t seen a fire around here. No prairie runaway fires to my knowledge. Fall fires used to be so common in olden days. International grain trucks had a V-frame and were famous for piling straw on the muffler leaving a trail of blazing embers.

Comment

Just goes to prove that the government will f uck up everything it is in charge of. No common sense, no accountability.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...