• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbicide Resistance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbicide Resistance

Often puzzled why Agriville rarely talks about agriculture, so, what ya gonna do about herbicide resistance?

Hope it just goes away? Expecting someone else to solve the problem? Can policy help? Regulatory?

Its a chemical company sales tactic.

Comment

Not completely.

Comment

Trying to push it off with rotations of chemical groups, and crops. Chemfallow has turned kochia into a near perfect super weed around here.

Its straight up resistant to group 2's, 4's, and 9. Edge, and group 14/15s are seeing reduced efficacy, and glufosinate hardly wings them.

A competitive crop, or steel are about the only things that keep them held back...

Comment

Might need a lesson here.

Start with chem groupsmode of action

Examples
          Group A Halxyfop quizlafop verdict targa
          Group b imazymox intervix raptor imazypic midas onduty
          Group L diquat paraquat
          Group M glyphosate

Do youbhave same grouping/labelling not sure if itcworldwide

Comment

No known resistance issues here yet. Trying to keep it that way.
            My main strategy is to minimize chemical weed control of any type as much as possible. Lots of moisture, competitive crops and seeding later all help make that possible.
            All no-till most acres get a preseed burn down, mainly for grasses. I am often able to avoid any in crop herbicide on cereals.
            I don't see the economics to zero tolerance. It might impress the neighbors, but there is an economic threshold to any pests, and timing when they are a problem, and when they are just unsightly.
            Wild oats are a fact of life with all the cowboy neighbors growing bin run wild oats/tame oat blends, so I don't want to lose options to control them due to resistance, so I only spray as rarely as possible, and only infected areas.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              No known resistance issues here yet. Trying to keep it that way
              I hope your right, but I can't see how group 2 resistant kochia hasn't spread everywhere. We had it 15 years ago. Lucky that we don't have anything resistant to glyphosate though. A few ounces of LV 700 in glyphosate really hammers everything.

Comment

I have a multi crop rotation. Not two, not three. Like six various crops. Same crops doesn’t see same land for at least six years, up to twelve if my forage program works out. And then forages as well. A six year forage stand does wonders for weed control. It is also quite profitable. Hay prices have been high for years, I am surprised more guys don’t throw in a bit of hay? Good for so many things, soil and weeds included.

I’m not very concerned about resistance. Kind of far down the list for me.

Comment

Any time a spray doesn’t work the first Words are oh must be resistance.

Comment

I would say the chemicals worked better this year than the last 5.

Last yr the wet conditions kept the dry weeds in check, this yr the reverse.

Fields look awesome. Sprayer is parked.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                      Often puzzled why Agriville rarely talks about agriculture, so, what ya gonna do about herbicide resistance?

Hope it just goes away? Expecting someone else to solve the problem? Can policy help? Regulatory?
                      Common sense
                      Crop rotation , herbicide rotation , addition of edge , rival , assert , you know some of the golden oldies ., plus increased seed rates on cereals . Additional certain foliage’s helps wth increased herbicide control .
                      Several options

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                        I hope your right, but I can't see how group 2 resistant kochia hasn't spread everywhere. We had it 15 years ago. Lucky that we don't have anything resistant to glyphosate though. A few ounces of LV 700 in glyphosate really hammers everything.
                        you can lay on 540g/ac of glypho, full rate express SG, 4oz of 2-4D, and 2oz of banvil, and the kochia laugh it off!

1.3L of glufosinate at best kinks them.

540g of glypho with full rate heat, blackhawk, goldwing, aim, or even double rate distinct and they at best quit getting any taller... They still set seed and fail to dry down.

Hit them with reglone and they sort of defoliate. Sometimes they require 2 passes.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                          I assume we are too cold, or too wet, or these really high quality weeds that everyone else gets to deal with just don't like compacted acidic grey wooded clay. We don't have Kochia, or Cleavers, or foxtail(almost none), or brome ( except the tame stuff that gets seeded on purpose).

Comment

[QUOTE=helmsdale;466770]you can lay on 540g/ac of glypho, full rate express SG, 4oz of 2-4D, and 2oz of banvil, and the kochia laugh it off!

1.3L of glufosinate at best kinks them.

Getting lost here ounces per acre then 1.3 L again per acre?

Give you some standard rates here you will have to wirk back.

Glyphosate at 450g/ litre active rate is around 1.8 litres per ha at 80 lt per ha water rate.

Paraquat 1.5 lt per ha 100 lt per ha water rate.

Halaxfop or verdict 100 ml per ha water rate 80 lt per ha.

Dicamba were used in a mix 300 ml per ha.

Avadex 1.6 to 2 litres per ha.

Mostchemicals here applied in 3 chem mix just not a single product. And rotated.

Interesting work our worst weed for many is ryegrass. For somehuge resistance issues.
                            If resistanct ryegrass is not sprayed zero chemicals nothing for 4 years the resitant plants are actually choked out by susceptable plants and when spraying returns in yr 5 the whole field is once again susceptible to all chemicals. Really new way to approach restance by just leaving it for grazing

Comment

Resistant kochia is a reality down here in the SW corner where we farm. Weeds are getting harder and harder to control . A poster on this forum was mentioning Glyphosate with 24-d. AAHH I remember those days. That works good for us for maybe 2 applications on chem fallow , after that nothing, maybe stunts them and that's it. Although if we would get some decent moisture on a regular basis in this godforsaken country I live in , it would help also. I do think that obviously water is a big factor in the effectiveness of the chemical , and I know all of you guys know that. Cultivator , and my trusty MF 360 discers ( I can hear a few of you cringe !) are being used where and when needed. Steel still has it's place down here. I am planning to increase seeding rates on my durum next spring. It has always worked for triticale and rye , so it's worth a shot. Planning also to use Authority for pre-seeding on pea ground also.

I like what I do , but sure would take some of the rain on a regular basis. Some of the BTO's around this area ( no offence to any of them ) are putting a LOT of $ into equipment and only getting at most a 25 bu/acre crop. To me the math does not work, but good on them. I heard there were some pulse crops in my area that only were yielding 5-10 bu/ac , so not too many payments made on that income.

Have a good weekend everyone , and here's to a good harvest !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.