• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glyphosate from a mate up the road

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glyphosate from a mate up the road

As a practising grain farmer-- who intends to continue practising in an attempt to get better at it--- I use significant amounts of glyphosate.. with no apology for doing so.
    My glyphosate-of-choice has for quite some time been the isopropylamine salt in 1,000 litre shuttles with a strength of 450 grams per litre of Active Ingredient, ...... and mostly costs somewhere around $4,000, with occasional fluctuations.
    My view is this form usually gives the biggest bang for Ros' buck, although there are other salts and strengths, with attendant pros & cons to each.....but personally I think many, maybe not all, of the pros are basically "Marketing Concepts".
    There are less genteel words for that term, but let's leave it at that...
    My interest was piqued when I recently noticed my preferred form of glyphosate in the garden section of a supermarket, despite it having a very different strength..... 7.2 g/l compared to the 450 g/l I normally use.
    This is simply a matter of dilution with water.
    It might be interesting to calculate the price difference between them when converted to the same strength basis.
    Now surely you would agree that it is only realistic to expect that a purchase of 3/4 of a litre would attract a commercial price premium per unit, as compared to buying 1,000 litres from my farm chemical agent.
    But what might that premium be ? 100% perhaps ? I thought that likely wasn't enough...so shall we guess 500 % ???
    Nah... let's go crazy and opt for 1,000 %.
    It should be simple enough to do the maths to find out exactly..
    750 mls for $12.90 works out to $17.20 for 1 litre.
    And 1,000 litres in my shuttle would then be $17,200
    But Wait!! There's more !! No steak knives, but we still have to factor in the difference in Active Ingredient strength.
    The appropriate calculation would be... $17,200 x 450 / 7.2 ........
    And the answer is.... on the same basis, my 1,000 litre shuttle would now cost ........... ( instead of $4,000 ) ........... $1,075,000.
    Or if you prefer .... $1.075 million.
    The premium is... 26,875 %.
    Obviously I guessed a little low with 1,000 %.
    I think that's called Value Adding.
    But the killer parts are that my $4K shuttle is delivered on farm for that price..... and Ros might lose her sunny disposition carrying 1,334 of those 750 ml bottles of mostly water through the check-out and into the Prado, and home.
    Still, $1.075 million is significantly under the price of the latest John Deere X9 grain harvester..
    And that won't do much to control my weeds.
    Come on down!! ... We have a shuttle of Glypho 450 Ros has instructed me to sacrifice for $850,000 ( inc GST ).
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...
X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
You agree to our and by clicking I agree.