• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moisture testers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moisture testers

Looks like farmers getting screwed again. Western producer has article about it. Have been hearing same thing when hauling grain to terminals.

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    Looks like farmers getting screwed again. Western producer has article about it. Have been hearing same thing when hauling grain to terminals.
    Are they finally waking up how these new testers read high? Sorry I never read article.

Comment

My x3 lentil samples were tough I was told. 13.4% no one wanted them in the fall.

Finally there was some demand last week so I hauled them agreeing to take a discount because of the moisture.

Ends up they were from 11.8 to 12.9 moisture. No discount.

But had I hauled them in the fall, I am sure they would have been tough.

Fwiw they didn't care what my moisture test showed.

Comment

Same here our old 919 always tests drier , guess we are correct they are WRONG! Class action again?

Comment

Its been my pet peeve all winter.I have asked around in my area and anyone using a 919 is testing at least point five dryer than terminals.

Comment

These kinds of issues are the reason that the Compas Review of CGC recommended that an Office of Grain Farmers Advocacy Office be set up but was ignored and the Office of Assistant Commissioners was closed.

Comment

I'm glad someone brought this up because its driving me crazy after this fall. Our Viterra elevator every single test I have take has been a point to 1.5 points higher than my 919. I take the same 250 gram sample to my 2 neighbor brand new 919 and another one newly calibrated 919 and both were exactly the same as mine. Some are saying that if you warm the sample up to over 11 degree and test it in the 919, the difference isn't as drastic. I don't know.

Comment

My friend has been delivering oats 400km to the mill. He shipped 6 loads all dry. Load 6 and 7 were from the same bin. Load 6 dry, load 7 half the btrian was dry the other half was out by .5%. They called him to reject the load. He managed to accept a moisture discount and they sent the entire load to a grain dryer down the road.
                I dried as much as I could. Brought my samples to the large farmer’s elevator for 919 testing to compare notes . I was .2% lower. The farmers employee told me they spent $10,000 on 2 new electronic testers. They were totally inconsistent with the 919. After weeks of recalibrating downtime the farmer told the manufacturer “do not send them back to me.”
                My mill delivery results were same as farmer elevator and everything worked out this round.
                Its the same old screw around every year.

Comment

Ask the grain companies how you can get on the list for a monthly certified calibration sample.

I'm sure they get a sealed sample from a certified lab with a known result.

They calibrate from that.

I don't know what their allowable tolerance is.
                  Last edited by shtferbrains; Feb 27, 2020, 17:47.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                    Ask the grain companies how you can get on the list for a monthly certified calibration sample.

I'm sure they get a sealed sample from a certified lab with a known result.

They calibrate from that.

I don't know what their allowable tolerance is.
                    What about protein?
                    Is a calibration done in a similar way and interval?

Comment

Cant beat the 919!

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                        Cant beat the 919!
                        919 was standard and universal used for years who/why was it changed to allow other equipment? Protein machines have always been an issue with me.

Comment

I had a problem with moisture on oats I was selling last summer. The mills electronic tester showed .5-1.0 percent higher than my 919 and put it over the 13.5. The we’re going to reject some loads but somehow agreed to take it with a discount - that’s pretty steep. So I took a sample to the grain commission and they got 13.5 on their 919. The mill got 14.2 on theirs. I held my ground and they realized how pissed I was and dropped the discounts.

Comment

The elevators have learned to use it to their advantage $$. The local Richardson terminal had a 919 and a electronic tester both on the bench. The electronic one was to test the oats coming in and it always tests 1 point higher on oats than the 919. They know it but the company says they have to use the results from the electronic one. The company isn’t stupid they can make money on shrink and drying.

Comment

Where is it that any equipment other than the 919 is allowed and who/when was it allowed. Only been the last couple years that they have showed up. Also the protein machines have moisture built in why not use them if they don't have to use 919? Sure is weird stuff going on these days. Guessing the guys that want to totally get rid of regulation and run self regulation are getting their way.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...