• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta' Climate Future

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta' Climate Future

An Alberta government commissioned study on the impact that climate change is having on Alberta was released to the public just last week after being delivered to the government last August. And it took two freedom of information requests before the government made this report public. What possibly could it say that the Alberta government tried to hide it? Still difficult to find online, so here is a link to actual report:
    https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/89a69583-a11b-4e31-a857-b311ab6563cc/resource/17ce2d24-ba7b-466c-acd9-33a2cf6beb69/download/aep-alberta-climate-report-arc.pdf https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/89a69583-a11b-4e31-a857-b311ab6563cc/resource/17ce2d24-ba7b-466c-acd9-33a2cf6beb69/download/aep-alberta-climate-report-arc.pdf

The Alberta government has also now posted its position on the impact of climate change on Alberta to distract from the actual report. Maybe this will not be quite as alarming for many of you. https://www.alberta.ca/climate-change-alberta.aspx https://www.alberta.ca/climate-change-alberta.aspx

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
    An Alberta government commissioned study on the impact that climate change is having on Alberta was released to the public just last week after being delivered to the government last August. And it took two freedom of information requests before the government made this report public. What possibly could it say that the Alberta government tried to hide it? Still difficult to find online, so here is a link to actual report:
    https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/89a69583-a11b-4e31-a857-b311ab6563cc/resource/17ce2d24-ba7b-466c-acd9-33a2cf6beb69/download/aep-alberta-climate-report-arc.pdf https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/89a69583-a11b-4e31-a857-b311ab6563cc/resource/17ce2d24-ba7b-466c-acd9-33a2cf6beb69/download/aep-alberta-climate-report-arc.pdf

The Alberta government has also now posted its position on the impact of climate change on Alberta to distract from the actual report. Maybe this will not be quite as alarming for many of you. https://www.alberta.ca/climate-change-alberta.aspx https://www.alberta.ca/climate-change-alberta.aspx
    Ok DML instead of the continuing argument on here over whether or not the western provinces are truly warming answer me this. Explain to me realistically how you plan to reduce your farms personal C02 emissions by 50%? Secondly do you think that your farm and indeed farms in western Canada could be profitable with a C02 tax of $100 a tonne or higher which is a minimum of where I believe it will be by 2030? These are the questions that matter!
    Last edited by Hamloc; Feb 27, 2020, 08:06.

Comment

Katharine Hayhoe and Ann Stoner did a lot of “presuming” and “predicting” for some reason.

Comment

So now not only is Canada warming 7 times faster than the rest of the world, Alberta (home to our oil industry) is warming even faster than that. What a coincidence.

Are things ok in texas? or Saudi Arabia? or Russia?

Report commissioned by one of Obamas lackeys says it all. I call BS.

Comment

They just keep copy/pasting each others drivel. So inspirational!

Comment

Alberta’s Climate Future| 2SUMMARY
            Alberta’s climate is already changing and many of thesechanges are projected to continueand even increase over the rest of this century.This report summarizes observed and projected changes in temperature and precipitation for the provinceand 21 of its cities and towns. It compares historical observationsand trendsto projected changes through 2100, and quantifies expected changes as the world warms by +1, +1.5, +2, +3 and +4oC.Since1950, almost every part of the province has experienced significant increases in winter temperature (from+0.5 to +1oC per decade) and decreases in the frequency of cold days, heating degree-days, and the proportion of winter precipitation falling as snow. Over half of the province has also experienced significant increases in summer temperature (from+0.1 to +0.3oC per decade), and some parts have also seen significant increases in warm daysover 25 and 30oC.Manyclimate indicators for Albertaare projected to increasenearly linearly asglobal averagetemperatureincreases, though at a greater rate of changethan the global average. Per degree of global mean temperature increase, projected changes for Alberta include: •A2oC increase in average winter and1.5oC increase in average summer temperature.•An increase of about 3oC in the temperature of the coldest day of the year and an increase of about 2oC in the temperature of the warmest day of the year.•A two-week lengthening of the frost-free season, and between a two to four-week lengthening of the growing season, with greater changes for more southern locations.•A 5-10% increase in Sept-Apr precipitation, with between 5-10% more falling as rain compared to snow.•A 50% increase in the number of very wet days (more than 25mm in 24 hours) and a 20% increasethe amount of precipitation on the wettest day of the year.•Proportional decreasesin heating degree-daysand increases in growing degree-daysand other cumulative heating indices.Changes in the actual number of days per year experiencing extreme high and low temperatures are projected to increaseexponentially, rather than linearly, asglobal mean temperatureincreases. For many Alberta locations, the number of days per year above 30oC, for example, could double perdegree of global warming.Littlechange is expected in average precipitation and in the number of dry days during the growing season (May-Aug).However, temperature during the growing season is projected to increase and soil moisture is projected to decrease, increasing the risk of dry conditionsas global temperature increases.Projected changes will profoundly impact Alberta’s natural environment, and have the potential to affect the province’s agriculture, infrastructure, and natural resources,as wellas the health and welfare of its inhabitants. For both temperature and precipitation, the changes reported here are consistent with those projected to occur throughout north-central North Americain response to human-induced climate change.They are appropriatefor use in scientific analyses to quantify theimpacts of a warming planet on both human and natural systems, and to inform long-term planning, education, and outreach.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
              Ok DML instead of continueing arguement on here over whether or not the western provinces are truly warming answer me this. Explain to me realistically how you plan to reduce your farms personal C02 emissions by 50%? Secondly do you think that your farm and indeed farms in western Canada could be profitable with a C02 tax of $100 a tonne or higher which is a minimum of where I believe it will be by 2030? These are the questions that matter!
              Hamlock Three points:
              First, a tax does not solve climate change. A tax is simply to get consumers to reduce consumption of fossil fuels. Every farm is different, but be honest, is every drop of fuel you use necessary? You reduce what you can .

Second, it is how the tax is used that will reduce the impact of climate change. Simply giving it back to consumers is self defeating. It should be used to reward those (farmers for example) for adopting carbon sequestration practices (like zero till)

Third, you claim the tax will make western Canada uncompetitive. So will $4000 and acre land or $100plus acre rents when we are competing against growers in Russia with land values a small fraction of this.

My point throughout the entire debate is agriculture has always been the solution to increasing greenhouse gas emissions and this should be the focus of farmers - not if climate change is real. But this will only happen when farmers accept man made climate change and demand recognition for what we can and are doing in sequestering carbon. The longer farmers deny, the more it will cost us.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                Katharine Hayhoe and Ann Stoner did a lot of “presuming” and “predicting” for some reason.
                Probably no more than what you do when you draw up financial and production budgets for the upcoming farm year. Tell me, how do you predict what your yields are going to be or do you presume they will follow the same recent trends, and predict the weather will enable such yields

Comment

Probably no more than what you do when you draw up financial and production budgets for the upcoming farm year. Tell me, how do you predict what your yields are going to be or do you presume they will follow the same recent trends, and predict the weather will enable such yields
                  Why Alberta? Is there anyplace anywhere on the rest of the planet in such dire straits and needs to torpedo its own industry?

Every other major country announced expanded oil and gas production this week Saudi, Russia and even sweet lil ol Norway.

Why aren't they shutting down or putting carbon taxes on.

We see right through the hypocrisy you know. Its not a good look for your hoax. Chuck is a pretzel everyday trying to sell his snake oil. Idling moms at Timmys bad, but jetsetting PM who flys 2 planes around Montreal is just great. The guy wouldn't know hypocrisy if it slapped hi up side the head.

I have news for you. Sask and Ab farmland base already sequesters every bit of carbon that will ever come out of the sands. But that would require real scientists to calculate, not UN paid shills.
                  Last edited by jazz; Feb 27, 2020, 08:20.

Comment

The carbon tax was just ruled unconstitutional in Alberta.
                    Why are you Liberals begging to pay an unconstitutional carbon tax?

Also chucky/dml, Global News used some quality fake news for this article:
                    "A new provincial report"? It's actually written by two global warming lobbyists based in Lubbock, Texas.
                    Last edited by Oliver88; Feb 27, 2020, 08:43.

Comment

Hamlock Three points:
                      First, a tax does not solve climate change. A tax is simply to get consumers to reduce consumption of fossil fuels. Every farm is different, but be honest, is every drop of fuel you use necessary? You reduce what you can .

Second, it is how the tax is used that will reduce the impact of climate change. Simply giving it back to consumers is self defeating. It should be used to reward those (farmers for example) for adopting carbon sequestration practices (like zero till)

Third, you claim the tax will make western Canada uncompetitive. So will $4000 and acre land or $100plus acre rents when we are competing against growers in Russia with land values a small fraction of this.

My point throughout the entire debate is agriculture has always been the solution to increasing greenhouse gas emissions and this should be the focus of farmers - not if climate change is real. But this will only happen when farmers accept man made climate change and demand recognition for what we can and are doing in sequestering carbon. The longer farmers deny, the more it will cost us.

As far as fuel use both my 4wd and my combines have been programmed for fuel efficiency, saved 10-15%. So yes I think a person can cut his fuel consumption in increments but at present the technology doesn't exist to make large cuts.

Alberta had and I believe still has a program where producers are payed for using no till to sequester carbon. I did it for a couple years roughly 10 years ago. Payed $1.69 an acre if I remember correctly. If you owned all your land this program was fairl simple. In my case with lots of rented land some land lords thought they should get a share. The other problem was any acres that required corrective tillage like rutts or sloughs had to be removed for that year, it seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

Your 3rd point is 100% correct farmers are without a doubt their own worst enemy but that doesn't mean we need the government as our enemy as well.

As far as farmers being the solution your fairly optomistic.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        So now not only is Canada warming 7 times faster than the rest of the world, Alberta (home to our oil industry) is warming even faster than that. What a coincidence.

Are things ok in texas? or Saudi Arabia? or Russia?

Report commissioned by one of Obamas lackeys says it all. I call BS.
                        Texas is 20% green energy.

Comment

I'd like to hear more about reducing energy consumption by 50%. Sounds like win win.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
                            Texas is 20% green energy.
                            So if we throw up some uneconomical wind turbines you will stop attacking the oil patch? Cause I don't see Texas halting production. In fact they are expanding at break neck speed.

And have a little closet look why renewables work in Texas. Much more sun and wind than AB and close to 10m consumers right beside to take the power. How can we get it to Toronto? And Texas doesn't get that little old thing called a Canadian winter.

I am so tired of these feeble green arguments. It doest work here. Canada is uninhabitable without ff but maybe that's the point. It will become one giant park for the UN and nobody living here.

Comment

All I know is I am so glad that I don’t live in daily fear like the climate crisis folks. I simply can’t imagine living like that, in constant fear that we are going to warm by a degree. I just can’t imagine. I actually feel bad for these folks. Almost.

I find the latest winter storm that will hit Toronto a happy moment. That city needs a dose of reality, and it needs the army too.

Meanwhile, for those of us who actually pay attention, the North has had a very harsh winter. But wait, it’s warming at twice the rate of the rest of the world. I forgot, I can’t use one season. That is just weather. But the climate crisis people can use that day a few years back when there was a puddle on the North Pole, and the temperature was a whopping plus four.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...