• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Super Bs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Super Bs

Anyone compared the newer Super Bs lately?
    I like how Doepker is 800kg lighter than the Lode King and 850kg lighter than Wilson, but will it be noticeably harder to pull being open ended? 800kg is quite a lot of Tare weight in my world when you are pushing legal loads all the time. Of course the Legacy is the most expensive. 9 out of 10 trailers (that are aluminum) I see running around my areas are the Distinction. I have a Wilson train now, the newest Wilson’s have made some design improvements. The steel Doepkers are the next lightest after the Legacy but I can’t bring myself to buy steel after owning an aluminum trailer.
    If you were shopping today, what would you buy and why?

Would a person not be able to repaint a steel trailer a couple times for the price difference between an aluminum trailer and a steel one? And wouldn't have to worry about the cracking issues and rivets loosening associated with aluminum trailers? Or have the manufacturers perfected the building process to alleviate those issues?

Plus you could pick a different colour scheme each time you repaint as your tastes change!

Comment

We bought the Doepkers.. Most expensive after u add on all the extras. Still lighter will additions. Went with 22.5s no lift axles. Only used 8 months but have been good. Don’t think u would go wrong with Lode Kings.

Comment

Still pulling jan '11 doepker steels... when I was commercial hauling I ran with a fella who had Wilson's.

On a calm day everyone knew I had 100 more hp. On any day with a 30+mph cross wind he could pull right with me and blow past me when I stopped to fill up with fuel.

I like the idea behind doepkers bushinged connections. Have you ever stood on the bridge while the truck is moving over uneven terrain? The flex that rigid joints have to take up is almost unbelievable.

Lode King enclosed have taken a phenomenal amount of market share!

Not necessarily an answer to your question, just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
          We bought the Doepkers.. Most expensive after u add on all the extras. Still lighter will additions. Went with 22.5s no lift axles. Only used 8 months but have been good. Don’t think u would go wrong with Lode Kings.
          I'd never put lifts on another trailer again... a) it adds weight, b) it adds unnecessary complexity.

air inflation is one must for me.

As far as tire size I like to match the trailer to the truck so I can run out steers and drives. If weight is your concern going to 22.5's, consider running low pro 24.5's. They actually weight up less than full pro 22's but you can be left with your thumb up your bum at tire shops if you blow one.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
            Would a person not be able to repaint a steel trailer a couple times for the price difference between an aluminum trailer and a steel one? And wouldn't have to worry about the cracking issues and rivets loosening associated with aluminum trailers? Or have the manufacturers perfected the building process to alleviate those issues?

Plus you could pick a different colour scheme each time you repaint as your tastes change!
            No , its never the same

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              No , its never the same
              Good to know!

Comment

Cracking and rivets I believe is proportional to use/abuse. Don't run them off an approach maxed out. Yes, I've seen them wrecked.
                Gravel chews them so lots of fenders.
                My last one was 14 years old when I bought it. (Too old = too low.)
                Less than $2000 took care of all minor structural repairs.
                Gates and hoppers last a long time.
                I will sell it in 10 years for %70 of what I paid for it.
                In my opinion, there is no comparison with a steel trailer. A defined life span no matter what you do.
                Steel has a place but remember it's always rusting.
                I have 16 year old gates that slide like new.
                Good luck.
                No super b experience but that bridge comment made sense.

Comment

Had a guy in yard last week, T680 Kenworth flat top bunk, no stacks just a muffler and dump pipe. 570 HP and automatic tranny. I can't remember breed of trailer, but he had singles on truck and trailer. He said only super B's in Canada with singles as far as he knows. 247,000 kms on truck and trailer, lots of tread left.
                  His empty weight is 17.6-17.8t depending on fuel.(without ice on it). Most guys I see are at least 19.5t.
                  Had air inflaters on it.
                  I know that if he has a flat he is stopped. But light weight and long life of tires had me interested.
                  Just a thought!

Comment

Around here the Doepker aluminum are the most popular. Lode Kings are good and they are cheaper, but resale is much worse. Doepker trailers sell on Kijiji in a day. Lode Kings take 2-3 weeks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.