• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday morning thinking....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday morning thinking....

Didn't want to get furrow's thread derailed about moisture but started thinking about production numbers in this province in a dry year...

If Saskatchewan still produces a reasonable crop based on better farming practices in a dry year....

Compared to other dry years....

If a canola crop can make 35bpa on 3.5 inches of rain

If wheat can run 30 bpa on the same amount ...

Here is the zinger ...

Why do they need to invest billions in irrigation ?

Has any of the engineers ever consider the advances in better farming practices when they write a study to say irrigation will pay...

Drove by the 10000 acre irrigation project and I seen a lot of dryland crops being irrigated on publicly funded and maintained irrigation project...

Those crops won't make double whats being grown on the dryland acres beside them...

There was canola, flax, peas under the pivots...potatoes, beans i understand .

Here is a math explanation....the riverhurst project cost around 90million back in the early 90s....

it took 30 years to get to 15000acres and every acre over the 10000 acre mark received more government money...

90,000,000 at a 3 percent return back to the taxpayer is 2,700,000 in interest ...no principal...

2,700,000 over the 10000 acres is 270 an acre if it was returning anything to the taxpayer...

plus 120 operating cost which includes the electricity to run pumps , maintenance costs etc...and that is infilled by government of 40 bucks an acre...

so minimum cost to deliver water to the quarter line is 270 plus 80 is 350 bucks an acre ...

side note: they don't pay a return to the taxpayer for the project nor principal of the project as it was recently given to them...

So they pay 80 bucks an acre to have water delivered to grow a crop of canola or wheat or flax ....partly funded by the taxpayers plus there own on farm costs of running and maintaining their pivots...

Here is the smell test to irrigation and being publicly funded....If it can't be done on its own by those that benefit as it is promoted as a economic driver....why should government fund it while leaving out the rest of the dryland industry that is an economic driver...

Bottom line to all this bitching is ...why are dryland farmers also not receiving 40 bucks an acre in government support that will definitely be returned to the economy?

disclaimer....none of my crops will make 20bpa and some won't see a combine...

The other thought I have after reading some more news....

Should we feel sorry for the graincos because of trade issues and poor weather here and in the states...

I am finding it hard to listen to some graincos marketing reps ( not my local Richard ) telling me how good a price 6.75 is for wheat and durum....have they paid a fuel bill , or bought any piece of machinery lately????

Good price for 1975 I say....

Comment

Kudos for pointing out the enequities in this business,I have been doing the same for the last 20 plus yrs of the cowboy welfare in alta,but all you get is accused of being jelouis,but when you get more than your costs before you even put a cow on pasture it kind of erks me,Around here fees are $1.39 per mo but private rates are from $1 to $1.50 per day, the gov spends more doing the paper work than they generate in revenue,and resource revenue going to lease holders,me thinks a little graft going on here.

Comment

I went to an irrigation meeting few years ago and pointed out the issues of putting a billion into another development when the first one hasn't had the results expected....and how do you expect 25000 other farmers to help pay for this when they get zero support...

The guy, Roger Pederson, who is now in the saskatchewan ag hall of fame....said Riverhurst Irrigation Project wasn't big enough to bring the industries in....holy ****....

The industries won't come here until the government offers up some incentives....its called "capitalism"...
        Last edited by bucket; Jul 14, 2019, 09:51.

Comment

Sums it up for me...

Comment

The WESTONS price and then they got 12 million to install new refrigeration ...

The enforcement in the bread price fixing didn't find it...someone admitted to it....no fine ...just billions from everyday canadians....

If you did the math on their price fixing they made pretty good money on the average farm growing good quality wheat....not on the actual cost of bread ...just on the pricing fixing part...

Comment

And who is picking up the tab for this new immigration scheme for farm workers????

Why isn't there a program for farm apprenticeship to keep young guys on the farm instead of going to work to subsidize the farm...

It aways rubs me wrong when the government says all these unfilled part time transient jobs need filling but bringing the next generation of farmers into the fold is suppose to be self funded...

Sounds like a handout to corporate elites again....

Comment

Interestingly this announcement was made at Maple Leaf .....

Who would have thunk it....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  Interestingly this announcement was made at Maple Leaf .....

Who would have thunk it....
                  Well geez bucket they need that money to install running water so that when they wipe their ass they have something to clean their hands. Wasn’t that the case at the slaughter house near Edmonton a few years ago? And health Canada was stamping it as sanitary place. Whata world!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...