• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sheepwheat holy hell

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sheepwheat holy hell

Farmers gets $9 but thats not my point getting way to pricey for consumers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Captureholy hell.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	778467

Crazy huh? Funny I am literally right now talking to a grocery store about carrying our lamb. Guess I’ll have to ask for those kind of prices. Lol I know their usual meat margin expectation, and am quite giggly if they go for it, because it would give us a very nice piece of the pie. Pretty hopeful.

But seriously, talk about pricing yourself out of a market. And we wonder why lamb sales struggle. That is plain crazy. Somebody making money there!

Comment

Sheep wheat ...you are too honest for your own good....

Comment

I am generally honest. Too honest? I dunno, I guess I take that as a compliment??

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
          I am generally honest. Too honest? I dunno, I guess I take that as a compliment??
          Take as much as you can plus 10 percent....call it contingency funding ...in the engineering world that for bribes and profit....they won't even know they are using their own money for your advertising....hahahaha

Comment

Crazy huh? Funny I am literally right now talking to a grocery store about carrying our lamb. Guess I’ll have to ask for those kind of prices. Lol I know their usual meat margin expectation, and am quite giggly if they go for it, because it would give us a very nice piece of the pie. Pretty hopeful.

But seriously, talk about pricing yourself out of a market. And we wonder why lamb sales struggle. That is plain crazy. Somebody making money there!
            Farmer direct sales here $15/16 per kilo slaughtered and packed

If people knew hogget which is a lamb thats cut its first teeth is only a month older than lamb for 25% less thats what they will buy soon they will cotton on
            Last edited by malleefarmer; Jul 13, 2019, 20:14.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

If people knew hogget which is a lamb thats cut its first teeth is only a month older than lamb for 25% less thats what they will buy soon they will cotton on
              And yet we still commonly see NZ light lamb carcasses coming in to Costco in Ontario for under $100.....

Comment

Farmers gets $9 but thats not my point getting way to pricey for consumers

[ATTACH]4533[/ATTACH]
                No question it's expensive but there aren't very many chops on a lamb and they gotta sell the whole lamb. Guarantee they aren't selling lamb ribs or stew meat for 50/kg and all has to average out. And look at the price of good quality fish or prime rib, or the famous beyond meat stuff, all are out of reach for average consumer.

Comment

Wouldn't the "wool on" instead?

Seriously though I've never understood the lamb price in Canada being higher than beef - it was always way less than beef in Scotland - as it should be in my opinion as it's very much a secondary product.
                  How is it priced relative to beef in Australia Mallee?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    Wouldn't the "wool on" instead?

Seriously though I've never understood the lamb price in Canada being higher than beef - it was always way less than beef in Scotland - as it should be in my opinion as it's very much a secondary product.
                    How is it priced relative to beef in Australia Mallee?
                    Lamb in Canada is definitely not a secondary product. It is much harder to find, it is what the richer people want. Canada imports half our lamb. So Canadian lamb is even more highly valued because people often want locally grown meat.

If it was an inferior or secondary product, people would not pay 50 bucks for a rack at a restaurant, or 15 dollars for a half lb of shishliki!

I think in Canada, lamb is an exotic type meat, sought after, uncommon, I mean, where is your nearest lamb in a grocery store, especially Canadian lamb? I know I cant find any. Consumers, especially rich consumers are very willing to part with their brass to get a hunk of it...

Mutton can be an inferior product. I certainly get that. Even so, we have beaten out a market for our culls, and we get more money out of a cull than we do out of a lamb by making a specialty product that is in high demand.

Which brings me to this: Breed matters. Wool lamb has its flavor, which for many can be offputting. Hair lambs have their flavor, much milder, and we have businesses buying our lamb, who have had nasty wool lamb experiences, because not everyone can hack it. I have met no one who dislikes hair lamb meat.
                    Last edited by Sheepwheat; Jul 14, 2019, 08:22.

Comment

Lamb in Canada is definitely not a secondary product. It is much harder to find, it is what the richer people want. Canada imports half our lamb. So Canadian lamb is even more highly valued because people often want locally grown meat.

If it was an inferior or secondary product, people would not pay 50 bucks for a rack at a restaurant, or 15 dollars for a half lb of shishliki!

I think in Canada, lamb is an exotic type meat, sought after, uncommon, I mean, where is your nearest lamb in a grocery store, especially Canadian lamb? I know I cant find any. Consumers, especially rich consumers are very willing to part with their brass to get a hunk of it...

Mutton can be an inferior product. I certainly get that. Even so, we have beaten out a market for our culls, and we get more money out of a cull than we do out of a lamb by making a specialty product that is in high demand.

Which brings me to this: Breed matters. Wool lamb has its flavor, which for many can be offputting. Hair lambs have their flavor, much milder, and we have businesses buying our lamb, who have had nasty wool lamb experiences, because not everyone can hack it. I have met no one who dislikes hair lamb meat.
                      Your post started out ok, but then you did the same thing grassfarmer did. Are you part of some white hair sheep supremacist group! Do you have special hats and hand signals?

Comment

Hair sheep matter!!

Comment

Sheepwheat we prefer to take the wool and hair off the animal before we eat it. If your customers are happy eating the hide good for you, earn you a few more pounds to sell! I think you have been fooled into believing a false marketing tactic, the response to which is hair sheep is more like eating an old Billy goat! Neither of which are true.

For the record, what we eat as "lamb" in Canada has a very mild taste compared to much of the rest of the worlds production. This is because its grain fed (standard is min 19 days of barley) and young. (Most are butchered at 4 to 5 months of age and approx 110lbs) Considerably different product than imported that often is grass fed and twice as old. Not saying better just different.

We often serve lamb to friends we know are certain they dont like lamb. Most can't believe how good our "beef" is. Lol.

Comment

Carcase weight last weeks sale yard lamb around the $8 lamb $6 hoggett per kg and cattle young steers $4 to 5 per kg carcass weight

Most farmers country people who "know" there meat actually prefer hoggett which is usually 12 to 18 months of age way more falvour.

Wool merino have less fat and are leaner than meat/hair lamb as you call it. Most prefer actually xbred a merino crossed with suffolk or border lecester.

Re hoggett mutton there now calling it "aged sheep meat" and they hang it for n100 days some specialty butchers and get top doillar for it. All in the marketing.

Its been statistically proven with the advent of cooking shows on TV geuss you get masterchef there been a swing or increase in red meat consump[tion. Not the bbq/smoking comps the "high end " cooking shows.

But that might all change with these non beef burgers etc
                            Last edited by malleefarmer; Jul 14, 2019, 16:07.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post

For the record, what we eat as "lamb" in Canada has a very mild taste compared to much of the rest of the worlds production. This is because its grain fed (standard is min 19 days of barley) and young. (Most are butchered at 4 to 5 months of age and approx 110lbs) Considerably different product than imported that often is grass fed and twice as old. Not saying better just different.
                              Really? I've never seen anyone fatten that young lambs in Canada - nearly everyone I know with sheep lambs May/June and the lambs are fattened on barley and hay late the next winter - even the "grass-fed" direct marketers!
                              In contrast in the UK the vast majority are finished off grass and their mothers milk starting at 3 months then progressively on grass alone, then maybe forage **** or some grain and later on root crops over winter but most are fat by 3-6 months off grass. New Zealand lamb is also grass produced at a young age and is likely the source of imports here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.