• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this rain bring any more optimism back to the cow-calf guys?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this rain bring any more optimism back to the cow-calf guys?

Sounds like most areas are now finally getting something. I realize it is much too late to salvage hay crops in most areas, and I don't know how dryland grass responds to moisture this late in the season, but it was looking like a wholesale liquidation was going to have to happen across western Canada just a few days ago, is that now on hold at least?

With the late or patchy or multistaged grain crops, possibly now coming and potentially getting baled up, or being replaced by greenfeed, will feed prices moderate somewhat? Is second cut an option is most areas even if the first cut was non existent?

A common theme has been that we could afford high feed prices one year (or in many cases that was already 2nd or 3rd), but not again this year, so if feed is high, cows would go to town.

I ask because we were intending to sell our own herd this year( and intended the same last year, but didn't want to give them away while everyone else was too, and had salvaged feed to use up) The assumption was that if it was at least normal rainfall this year prices would rebound a lot with some herd rebuilding going on.

I don't have a very good perspective since we are actually on the wet side here have already had multiple times more rain than we had all of last year, hay crops look exceptional, pastures are way ahead, and we really don't know what a drought is compared to most anyways. I haven't travelled around at all lately.

AF5 I hope that everyone got a good shot of rain. We got 3 inches and 20 miles west they got 5 and 70 miles east they got 1. We were getting a bit nervous before this but now we’re set for quite a while. I got a bunch of cull cows to sell and I’m hoping that in a couple weeks the rush of culling will quiet down and bring the price back up a little. Kinda curious how everyone out east is doing?

I got enough feed for next winter and beyond so I could’ve grazed the hayfields if necessary. Already have the phone ringing making sure I’ll have hay for sale and nobody is asking price😳...... Hope I can get it put up nice. Might even turn the barley into greenfeed if it pencils out to help a few guys out since there is no reserve feed around here otherwise.

Comment

My question is, with the inevitable dispersals and reductions this fall, will any bred cows return to farms or will they all go for kill?

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
        My question is, with the inevitable dispersals and reductions this fall, will any bred cows return to farms or will they all go for kill?
        I don't see many returning to the farm. I don't know of any significant areas of the country that are in good shape for feed that they would go to and I don't see that many people enthusiastic about the profitability of cow/calf. I see lots of potential to salvage poor/late/different staged crops into silage this year, particularly with the shortage of export markets for canola but how does that work with crop insurance? If there were no crop insurance farmers and ranchers could deal with each other to make the best of a bad situation but with crop insurance is the farmer going to be forced to take the crop to maturity to determine their payout? That's the big unknown for me.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.