• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Rain Til July 10th week

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Rain Til July 10th week

In your area, what would that do as far as yield prospects / crop prospects?

I'm not sure there's enough ground moisture to hold us till then...

Hay would be a write off.

Oh F off.

Really?

Like anyone knows for sure.

If it's a theoretical question....it would be disastrous.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post

I think it was 2009 that it didn't rain here until June 26th. I remember mid June digging in the row and finding unsprouted seed and fertilizer prills. That was the year it didn't freeze until the end of September. There was a below average crop but quality wasn't bad.

Comment

Might be the most profitable option for me as drought ins would kick in and the net would be better than after harvest. Would be real hard on cattlemen,no rain is NO grass,
        I guess the welfare cowboys would be like me as they only have cows to keep the resource revenue comming in.

Comment

This particular location east of Edmonton had no rain till June 19 in 2015. Early seeded cereals came up nice with good moisture at seeding and ran out of gas before rains came. Canola which was seeded later fared better as canola will respond if conditions improve later in the season. Some places got a lottery rain in May that year and had good crops.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post

If I knew for certain no rain till mid July, I’d switch all incrop herbicide to glyphosate.....

Comment

I prefer the accuweather forecast although I've never found it to be that accurate. Tap switching on June 1st will be crucial for guys with cattle in many areas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 10.52.37 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	767309

Comment

klause, where did you hear that forecast? Does anybody have anything from Drew Lerner?

Comment

Anything out more than three days is ****ing noise.

Did they/anyone know that high pressure ridge was going to block the last Montana/Idaho low from advancing north east? ...maybe three days in advance.

Save yourself some grief and stress and live a day at a time. ....but have a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    klause, where did you hear that forecast? Does anybody have anything from Drew Lerner?
                    Same thing he's been saying since April... we(and they) need a high pressure ridge to set up in the mid west US. That'll push the jetstream north thereby pushing the storm track north. He's anticipating mid June at the earliest.

Comment

Rick Mercer's environment Canada 7 day forecast...

https://youtu.be/wkDvqQKGgDA

Comment

Well if I compare it to one of the worst dry year that really sticks out in my memory 2002. That year we had very little moisture real high temps coming into spring and the crop hung on until the July long weekend when the temps went crazy high and really ended the crop for that year. This year with decent sub soil moisture and a way cooler temps so far, I think if we get decent rain by July 1 we would still get a crop but a smaller one.

Comment

Comment

In our area and on own farm, silver lining would be getting into more slough margins and working them down.
                            Remember past dry years when best crop came from slough edges and high water table areas if we had got or kept them in shape the year before.
                            Some of them have been out of production for past ten years, newcomers might see them as not worth bothering with but not me.
                            If we get more wet years, our hills and higher land production should make up for wet areas we lose.

Comment

Go get your fricken cash advance and don’t worry about weather or prices that advance is the solution both the liberals and conservatives think Canadian farmers need. No use having a decent insurance program.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.