• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sample grade canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sample grade canola

what is a fair discount from a no 1 for no 3 canola and for 30% green and damaged canola? am located in the peace river area

Originally posted by consuelo View Post
    what is a fair discount from a no 1 for no 3 canola and for 30% green and damaged canola? am located in the peace river area
    No help, but I don't think you want to use the word fair and discount in the same sentence in regards to canola this year. When I inquired before harvest, 30% green was worth half of #1, and it apparently got worse after harvest when the scale of the problem became apparent.

I plan to hold the high green count over until the glut is over to see if discounts improve.

Comment

Has anyone or know of anyone that has tried upgrading green canola? Maby using a gravity table or sorter or some other kind of equipment.

Comment

Discounts are around $220 per ton. If you got any good stuff try and find an elevator that will help you out and paper blend. Thats what i did, sold every bushel I had in one contract to blend the green count down. Overall got down to 12% green and that was about $50 discount but was quite a bit ahead of selling the good and bad separate.

If all you got is sample try the feedmills but like Ab5 says it will be about half price of number 1. I talked to Bunge they said they didnt want any green in Alberta cause they had enough but could blend off in sk/man and the guy thought even with freight it might still pay??

Have heard it can be bleached out now but dont know who or where for that.

Comment

Supposedly it cannot be separated successfully.

Need heat and moisture.

If you like playing with fire, do the following:
          Bin at damp, not tough.
          Check temp daily(at least) until it starts to heat.
          Wait for temp to exceed 20C,find a way to maintain that
          Don't let it get above 35C

Some green seeds will change, most will oxidize, which is still considered sound, so long as none are heated.

The fine line between oxidized and heated is probably only a few degrees or a few hours.

Officially, this doesn't work.

At 30% you don't have much to lose, discounts for heated are probably no worse.

Comment

Will the Bunge crusher at Fort Saskatchewan crush canola this green?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
              Will the Bunge crusher at Fort Saskatchewan crush canola this green?
              Oliver88,

Yes Bunge can crush a limited amount of green Canola... but only so much...

Part of the process involves bleaching out the green chlorophyll... but too much of the resulting further processed oil loses some stability... i.e.. the shelf life is decreased significantly... so this still means the discount remains ... as major blending still needs to happen, with oil from sound low chlorophyll seed.

Even at 6% green count the product still needs to be blended... and the overall sample needs to be good sound low chlorophyll seed... At over 10% green it really makes it very tough [to blend] which means at times the SK guys who make fuel conditioner at high discounts, is the only real option for high chlorophyll seed over 10% green and higher than usual background chlorophyll levels.

The large stocks of US Soy... and China tariffs, are weighing on the China market... plus the further Hog feed consumption [of meal] decrease in China... is adding even further to downward price pressure... still big stocks of Canola here... higher CDN$ recently... high US$... the spring rally seems frozen in our imaginations!!! Cheers...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...