• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Industry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola Industry

With regards to the proposed new seed tax I often here " We don't want to have the same thing happen to wheat that happen to canola"

So what happened to the canola industry was that a good thing or a bad thing?

After buying canola seed for many years at $1.00 lb for treated seed I find it obscene with what we have to pay for it now but if it is obscene why are so many farmer growing so much of it that they don't even follow good rotations?
    Farmers I know always want the latest varieties and I don't think they would ever consider buying an old variety even at a much lower cost.

They will sell it for what ever the market will bear. Farmers are easy to market to...most are production oriented and if they have have to pay an extra dollar a pound for seed to gain half a bushel an acre....some will do it(obvious exaggeration). All I see in canola seed marketing is a bloated bureaucracy and advertising campaign.

I will seldom realize the full benefits of some of the varieties because I farm in the Slum of the Ghetto, not SF3's or caseih's Gardens of Eden.
    But that is my problem....but the seed costs are the same.

Comment

So far it's still profitable. The old varieties are probably 10 bpa lower, maybe more.
      Easy to grow in zero till systems with great weed control.
      More production has grown the Canadian canola industry a lot.

Of course there is the story about the golden eggs and the goose.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
        So far it's still profitable. The old varieties are probably 10 bpa lower, maybe more.
        Easy to grow in zero till systems with great weed control.
        More production has grown the Canadian canola industry a lot.

Of course there is the story about the golden eggs and the goose.
        7 to 10 bpa is the seed cost ....no real gain...especially if it stays dry...

if you end up equal to an older variety BPA wise.....you are losing money...

Comment

Yes seed cost is a drag, but don't forget the time, machinery and chemical savings among other things.
          The total benefit is a lot more than the cost of seed.

That is comparing the old canola production system to a herbicide tolerant system

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            They will sell it for what ever the market will bear. Farmers are easy to market to...most are production oriented and if they have have to pay an extra dollar a pound for seed to gain half a bushel an acre....some will do it(obvious exaggeration). All I see in canola seed marketing is a bloated bureaucracy and advertising campaign.

I will seldom realize the full benefits of some of the varieties because I farm in the Slum of the Ghetto, not SF3's or caseih's Gardens of Eden.
            But that is my problem....but the seed costs are the same.
            Hopin we dont have any negative waves (aka flooding) in spring. 2 1/2 feet of that white shit since xmas
            It would be garden of eden except always fighting water lol

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              Hopin we dont have any negative waves (aka flooding) in spring. 2 1/2 feet of that white shit since xmas
              It would be garden of eden except always fighting water lol
              Really? are there other areas that have had this much snow? I know a lot of areas have had next to none all winter.

Comment

The fogs say moisture will come in calving season again....maybe an old wives tale....

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  Really? are there other areas that have had this much snow? I know a lot of areas have had next to none all winter.
                  could drive in fields anywhere up to dec. 20 then in ten days got about 2-2.5 ft , lots here now

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    The fogs say moisture will come in calving season again....maybe an old wives tale....

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Soybeans it is .....

Comment

That would be awesome furrow, what is the source of that prediction?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...