• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Meat a Carcinogen?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Meat a Carcinogen?

World Health is blowing the whistle on bacon, processed and red meats because research points to red meats’ link with colon and pancreatic cancer. A CTV article this morning also suggests that we switch to a bean, vegetable and fruit diet. They are putting refined and red meats in the same carcinogenic category as smoking and diesel fuel fumes. Seems that meat production is environmentally detrimental also.

Soon there isn’t much we can eat. No chemical, no GMO, no red meat, no sugar, wheat bloats us, no smells, no dairy, and then carbs are bad-bad-bad ....for sure no perogies. Straw good?

Gone are the days of the big barbeque T-Bone with baked potatoe, heaped with butter and sour cream, bacon bits and chives, ham and bacon a big no-no BUT then that pound and a half lobster with half a pound of melted butter still seems ok and crab legs, no one has mentioned them yet. So alls well 👍🦍

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
    World Health is blowing the whistle on bacon, processed and red meats because research points to red meats’ link with colon and pancreatic cancer. A CTV article this morning also suggests that we switch to a bean, vegetable and fruit diet. They are putting refined and red meats in the same carcinogenic category as smoking and diesel fuel fumes. Seems that meat production is environmentally detrimental also.

Soon there isn’t much we can eat. No chemical, no GMO, no red meat, no sugar, wheat bloats us, no smells, no dairy, and then carbs are bad-bad-bad ....for sure no perogies. Straw good?

Gone are the days of the big barbeque T-Bone with baked potatoe, heaped with butter and sour cream, bacon bits and chives, ham and bacon a big no-no BUT then that pound and a half lobster with half a pound of melted butter still seems ok and crab legs, no one has mentioned them yet. So alls well 👍🦍
    Full circle on the bacon.....there for a while it was OK....I like bacon....mmmmmmm...

Comment

I think its the method of preparation that makes it carcinogenetic. Usually meat gets burnt a little unlike other meats. Probably blackened toast is the same.

I only eat meat once a day and red meat once or twice a week. My dad had colon cancer 5 yrs ago and survived.

I bounce around on the keto diet but I do have a few carbs. No refined sugars, white breads or pastas. Some potatoes, whole grain bread, fruit veggies and lean meats.
      Last edited by jazz; Jan 17, 2019, 07:55.

Comment

So is chicken NOT in the red meat class? We eat more chicken, seafood than steak. Never had a barbecue on the place, never BURN meat, oops maybe camping, or at free hamburger events. I feel best when food combining, that is, eat a protein and non starch meal. The carbs and starchy vegetables at next meal. A non meat burger works, no other combo, meat and potatoes are harder/slower to digest. But we are all different. Agree, refined SUGARS of all mutations should be BANNED! For sure the environment will come up, climate change!

Comment

More nonsense out there on the subject of nutrition than climate change so all this can be ignored. Poison is in the dose so eat a wide variety of foods in moderation. Even refined sugar is not necessary bad, only the over consumption of it. Soon real problems will trump imaginary ones so we won't be hearing much more on this topic. Refer to the bank rate cut thread. However, red meat consumption will continue to decline which is why you will not see land being converted back to grass like it was during the 80's farm crisis. The outlook for '19 is worse than much of the eighties for many of us especially if you farm on some of the more marginal land types.

Comment

I don't want to make life harder for people who grow our food including ranchers but take a walk around a city mall once, especially in the US and tell me something doesn't need to change in our eating habits. Colon cancer has skyrockets as well as obesity. Too much meat protein can be as bad as too much sugar. And you try to avoid refined sugars so you don't eat pasta or white bread. Trouble is its in everything. And then there is the corn syrup. Never have I seen a product that's basically put into every packaged food product.

Comment

Once they get done with red meat, they'll will get on to which crops you must grow and for what price. Of course anything with gluten will be off-limits. Are there any Archdukes left in Europe that need to be shot? This Liberal snowflake world needs a shakeup. I want to see guys fight on a battlefield, fuelled with apples, chickpeas and avocados.

Comment

Attention hippies! Despite your best efforts I will be eating more red meat!

I've been living kato lifestyle (my term for keto diet and martial arts workout) for awhile, and have lost 25 lbs in 2.5 months.

UN sponsored, A&W, PETA driven hippie bean curd bullshit not welcome here.

This is another attack on modern agriculture. Nothing less.

There is more risk to cancer from society's inactivity and obesity than any other factor, smoking excepted.

Comment

Beans and pulses are linked to leaky gut syndrome (organic or not)

Comment

Red meat is a carcinogen like CO2 is a pollutant...

Comment

I agree with fjlip, never been a fan of burnt or scorched meat. Prefer it done in the slow cooker and find it easier to digest that way than as a big steak.
                      Wife tried the keto with good results but it's pretty extreme and as such hard to stay on. I prefer moderation combined with exercise.
                      I think there is a genetic aspect to this that is overlooked - not every food has the same effect on different people or different ethnic groups. I know what they say about refined sugar but I've got a sweet tooth and seem to be able to handle it better than most. Growing up we'd have 6 or 7 mugs of tea/coffee a day with two heaped teaspoons of sugar in each so 12-14 spoonfuls right there plus all the sweet deserts and candy we ate. I'm not overweight and never likely to be but I have cut back sugar considerably. My Dad is 85 and he climbed the highest peak in the southern hemisphere on his 70th birthday and played badminton until he was 80. He's suffered no ill effects of this high sugar diet all his life.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                        I agree with fjlip, never been a fan of burnt or scorched meat. Prefer it done in the slow cooker and find it easier to digest that way than as a big steak.
                        Wife tried the keto with good results but it's pretty extreme and as such hard to stay on. I prefer moderation combined with exercise.
                        I think there is a genetic aspect to this that is overlooked - not every food has the same effect on different people or different ethnic groups. I know what they say about refined sugar but I've got a sweet tooth and seem to be able to handle it better than most. Growing up we'd have 6 or 7 mugs of tea/coffee a day with two heaped teaspoons of sugar in each so 12-14 spoonfuls right there plus all the sweet deserts and candy we ate. I'm not overweight and never likely to be but I have cut back sugar considerably. My Dad is 85 and he climbed the highest peak in the southern hemisphere on his 70th birthday and played badminton until he was 80. He's suffered no ill effects of this high sugar diet all his life.
                        I cant disagree with anything you said here.....I dont like anything burnt, whatsoever. I bbq slow. I tell waiters at restaurants that I like medium steaks and if they have to take extra time to cook mine I'm ok with it...no black whatsoever. It's not because I dont think its healthy, I just don't like the taste of coal.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                          I cant disagree with anything you said here.....I dont like anything burnt, whatsoever. I bbq slow. I tell waiters at restaurants that I like medium steaks and if they have to take extra time to cook mine I'm ok with it...no black whatsoever. It's not because I dont think its healthy, I just don't like the taste of coal.
                          Mind you I eat whatever is put in front of me and I never complain about a meal at a restaurant. If it's that bad I eat what I can and leave the rest. Doesnt happen very often though.

Comment

I like a blue steak if it’s good beef. Tenderloin works. 3 to 5 min per side.

Vegans look so nice in there coffin.

Just saying meat is needed for a balanced diet. Pushing pulse is making us like the poor areas of the world.

Comment

Slow cooked on a smoker is so good.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.