• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM Drought tolerant wheat **Klause**TOM

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM Drought tolerant wheat **Klause**TOM

Know this lady real well despite the fact she lives about 7 hours away by car.
    Were the only state or province that doesnt have gm crops were lagging behing other states.
    anyway interesting link and thoughts and working with argentina

https://globalfarmernetwork.org/2018/12/the-future-of-drought-tolerant-wheat-is-near/ https://globalfarmernetwork.org/2018/12/the-future-of-drought-tolerant-wheat-is-near/
    Last edited by malleefarmer; Dec 17, 2018, 03:58.

Sounds exciting.
    Interested in the how and the who regarding funding for that development.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
      Sounds exciting.
      Interested in the how and the who regarding funding for that development.
      "This company is a joint venture formed by Bioceres, owner of this unique biotechnology in the world; and the French seedbed Florimond Desprez, which will be the one that contributes the genetic varieties.

It is a scientific development obtained by the team of researchers of the National University of the Litoral led by Raquel Chan, who transferred to the winter cereal gene that confers drought tolerance to sunflower. "

Bioceres is an Argentine agrotech company ( http://www.bioceres.com.ar/corporate-overview/ http://www.bioceres.com.ar/corporate-overview/ ) (this is in english).

Florimond-Desprez is a world wide genetics company based in France. They recently opened a new facility in Argentina also.

The University of the Litoral is the equivalent of the U of S in Santa Fe, Argentina. It's a national university with advanced breeding programs.

The gene technique to infer drought resistance is the same as they used to produce the drought tolerant soybean that became commercially available in 2015... The bean produces the same yield with 30% less rainfall as a "conventional" soybean.

HB4, this new wheat, is setting South America buzzing. Average yield increases across all trials plots are a minimum of 20%, and especially expressed in drought conditions.

The genetics from HB4 are being used to create short, medium and long season varieties... It's been officially endorsed by the Minister of Agribusiness of Argentina, although, because it's a parent variety, it has not been approved for commercial production.

The other interesting thing is HB4 is salinity resistant... It will grow around sloughs and places where you'd only have kochi before.

It is the 2nd of the new generation super-wheats. The first being developed in Russia @ omGau.

Comment

How have we seemingly killed this type of work in Canada?

Comment

How have we seemingly killed this type of work in Canada?
          Clearly because we aren't paying enough for new varieties...

Comment

This is very good news. And this is where GMO's should have started out, instead of herbicide tolerance. Then GMO wouldn't be a swear word today. This is the type of progress that organic will be locked out of, the potential is mind boggling. But, the public debate is poisoned already, not sure how something like this could be endorsed now.

Comment

20% better yield that seed should be worth at least $150 acre. Plus how ever many acres of wheat in Aus x 20% should bring down the price you get for it a couple bucks...it looks like a win win.
              Last edited by jimmy; Dec 17, 2018, 15:27. Reason: H

Comment

In the past 40 years of farming my wheat yields should average over 100 bpa. Every new variety that comes out out yields the old ones by at least 5% and that’s not including seed treating that adds another 2-4 bpa I must be doing something wrong.

Comment

Believe me I get your point.
                  But ignoring technology at home will not raise the price of wheat worldwide.
                  Some reasearch allows us to do more with less.

Comment

Believe me I get your point.
                    But ignoring technology at home will not raise the price of wheat worldwide.
                    Some reasearch allows us to do more with less.
                    Have you read up on INDIGO AG ...I think that's the right name ...they have some interesting research in the works....

Just wondering...not an argument ...just a conversation....I can't remember where i read about it or what it was about....Maybe rice with less water..

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Have you read up on INDIGO AG ...I think that's the right name ...they have some interesting research in the works....

Just wondering...not an argument ...just a conversation....I can't remember where i read about it or what it was about....Maybe rice with less water..
                      Came across that info recently as well. Not sure yet if they have a proprietary variety or simply inoculating common seed to boost epiphytism. I think they are more about Quorum Sensing, Bio Mimicry and RuBisCo. The future is all about microbes which is why glyphosate doesn't fit in anymore being an antibiotic. Essentially we've seen these results using compost extract.

https://www.indigoag.com/en-au/indigo-offer

Graeme Sait has an interesting view of wheat.

https://blog.nutri-tech.com.au/the-bastardisation-of-our-food/

Comment

Thx Mallee;
                        If we work together... in one accord...there is nothing the creative nature of humanity... can't accomplish.
                        Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                        Know this lady real well despite the fact she lives about 7 hours away by car.
                        Were the only state or province that doesnt have gm crops were lagging behing other states.
                        anyway interesting link and thoughts and working with argentina

https://globalfarmernetwork.org/2018/12/the-future-of-drought-tolerant-wheat-is-near/ https://globalfarmernetwork.org/2018/12/the-future-of-drought-tolerant-wheat-is-near/

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post

Graeme Sait has an interesting view of wheat.

https://blog.nutri-tech.com.au/the-bastardisation-of-our-food/
                          I read the article. I'm not going to comment or attempt to find fault with it. I do however note that it is completely lacking in sources and citations, which is fine, it is a blog post, not a paper, but does he have any other publications with sources to validate some of the claims made in this article?

Comment

Also some new tech coming down in water retention products. We are going to run some trials on a granular product that you place with the seed that supposedly "catch and releases" the water. I think we will see a few of these hit the market in the next few years also.

Comment

Originally posted by FertaCloud View Post
                              Also some new tech coming down in water retention products. We are going to run some trials on a granular product that you place with the seed that supposedly "catch and releases" the water. I think we will see a few of these hit the market in the next few years also.
                              Is AgCanada research farm at Indian Head working on such a product. Some kind of Bio-Char....would be high in carbon too. Using willows and/or some kind of high volume producing grass....some guys were asking if coattails/bullrushes could be used as a feedstock. This stuff was burnt and compressed into pellet form.

Edit it...I think they also talked about the product having a high concentration of Phosphorus....using the willows to "mop up" agricultural phos run-off.

Sound like a good product for our buddy hobbyfrmr!
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 18, 2018, 07:41.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.