• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brand, is the best tasting butter to buy?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What brand, is the best tasting butter to buy?

Shortbread season boys,,,need to know what is the best tasting butter!!! ASAP !

Wife keeps buying the cheapest, and I think there must be something better tasting out there.

How about over steaming potatoes or green peas, or spread over a warm bun, WHAT'S THE BEST TASTING BUTTER? HELP NOW!

thanks in advance.

Basic marketing 101. Whichever one costs the most and/or has the fanciest packaging, always tastes the best.

Comment

Beaverdam, it is funny that you should mention the flavour of butter. I actually saw a man returning butter to A chain store in Regina because it didn’t seem Right to him. If you tasted the butter in France, you would recognize the difference, but if you read the ingredients on the packages that I buy, surprisingly this is supposed to be just cream and salt. Guess not french cows and french salt? Maybe some dairy producer can shed some light on la difference.

Comment

My popcorn tastes best with Co-op salted. And when I want to get real fancy I will crush two cloves of garlic onto the butter, microwave it on real low to melt it, stir and let sit...even overnight then re-melt it the next day. You don't have to live behind the Garlic Curtain(Ukrainian settlement areas of Sask) to enjoy it either.

I don't like anything with hydrogenated palm kernel oil in it!

Comment

Isn't palm oil, what makes theater popcorn great !

It might stop your heart, but it tastes great,,,like none other.

Comment

sumdumguy, is the difference, the breed of cows? or the feed they consume?

or is it one of many types/colours of salt that are on the selves now?

could it be a secret ingredient in such small amounts, that it's not required to be on the ingredient label??

not all butter tastes the same.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post

or is it one of many types/colours of salt that are on the selves now?

could it be a secret ingredient in such small amounts, that it's not required to be on the ingredient label??

not all butter tastes the same.

I agree, you would think butter is butter but even in US, butter is flavourless. At a crab buffet, I asked for melted whole butter and it was the right flavour. Guess I am too fussy.

Comment

We buy Lactantia salted butter. Must be a difference from Europe as Lactantia offers a 'European Style' salted butter as well. Have also used Great Value/Walmart and Compliments/Safeway brands in pinch, although Great Value is better of two. Butter is cheap if you stock up when on sale. Easiest product to keep in freezer. Safeway had Lactantia salted butter on sale couple weeks ago for holiday season at 2.97/lb. Stocked up on about 20 lbs. Unsalted can be tasteless shit. Everyone in our family eats butter year round, haven't eaten 'cancer in a tub' margerine in about 15 years. You would think we should all be dead, but cholesterol levels are actually quite good. Maybe just good genetics.

Comment

Not sure on brands, could be differences from different regions based on diet. Could also be age of cream when processed as it gets stronger tasting with age. As kids, we had a milk cow, mostly for milk and cream but mom did make some butter. Significant taste change with diet change, When the first dandelions came out in the spring, wow was that a nasty flavour surprise. Always had lots of whip cream, fudge, cakes etc with endless cream around.

We use both butter and margarine now depending what we are making. I think there is a huge difference in margarine flavour from one to the other, not so much on butter.

Comment

I would guess grass would be making the difference - ie dairy cows actually grazing versus eating processed feeds year round. Butter off grassfed cows will be yellower and have more taste - the same good Omega-3 influence that makes beef fat off grass yellow instead of white.

Comment

Like unsalted butter way more.

Comment

Shortbread season boys,,,need to know what is the best tasting butter!!! ASAP !

Wife keeps buying the cheapest, and I think there must be something better tasting out there.

How about over steaming potatoes or green peas, or spread over a warm bun, WHAT'S THE BEST TASTING BUTTER? HELP NOW!

thanks in advance.
                        Co-op salted butter.

Comment

I personally don’t like butter! Never eat popcorn, so no butter, don’t eat baking, don’t eat sweets.
                          When it comes to sandwiches I use mustard ketchup or steak sauce as my butter. Only time I will use butter is on potatoes, or grilled cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
                            We buy Lactantia salted butter. Must be a difference from Europe as Lactantia offers a 'European Style' salted butter as well. Have also used Great Value/Walmart and Compliments/Safeway brands in pinch, although Great Value is better of two. Butter is cheap if you stock up when on sale. Easiest product to keep in freezer. Safeway had Lactantia salted butter on sale couple weeks ago for holiday season at 2.97/lb. Stocked up on about 20 lbs. Unsalted can be tasteless shit. Everyone in our family eats butter year round, haven't eaten 'cancer in a tub' margerine in about 15 years. You would think we should all be dead, but cholesterol levels are actually quite good. Maybe just good genetics.
                            And I've eaten nothing but "cancer in a tub" for 45 years, and yet here I am. You are an idiot, nothing at all wrong with either. I prefer margarine as the canola used in it could be the canola I grow.

Comment

Most professional bakers use unsalted butter so they can control the amount of salt. Different brands of salted butter have differing levels of salt inclusion. This might explain what you experience with different tastes with butter.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...