• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do Farm Groups actually do for Farmers and Who Cares?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do Farm Groups actually do for Farmers and Who Cares?

Someone explain to me what all our farm groups do for us. Either one who we pay a fee to join or are forced to fund with checkoff money.

A group of us had this discussion waiting in line at the elevator the other day.

Are we getting back anything at all for the money spent?

The NFU had a great idea one day and called out politicians then two days later come back with a useless support of an NDP carbon tax. Ready to send them a check and rip it up before you mail it all within a few days.

Government is doing everything possible to keep farmers in the poverty level.

An example is selling our rail cars like Bucket pointed out yet the next couple years buy rich oil companies Cars to move their product. Like who are running the insane asylum.

I for a long time have stated that guys run to get on these boards with great expectation, once they win and get to the first meeting and get the secret handshake and the first check for the meetings attended they fall for the cant change what's not working system and life goes on till they either become a carrier politician or give up and quit and fade away from public life.

Seed is the latest and after talking to people who attended it is already a done deal from what I'm hearing.

Again who is looking out for farmers, not groups who are suppose to represent us?

Now the latest a group who wants you to mortgage your farm so they can let you capture your equity so you can continue to farm and overpay. DAh lets give up the last pennies we have.

Which group actually cares what happens to the Farm.

It isn't Business that's for sure. Even if they run commercials saying we're here for farmers 24/7 and without your were nothing.

It isn't Government because all they see is taxes taxes taxes and spend on everything except what generates real revenue and is actually needed by all to survive on this planet "FOOD".

Political parties hahhahahahah that is a good one they all want our vote and then when the shit hits the fan they are studying the idea or problem and will get back to you once the issue solves itself.

Finally, farm groups who collect a check from you either by a cash membership or a checkoff. Why not push farm issues instead of life is great were getting paid so why rock the boat and actually discuss real-world problems.

We had a couple of farmers at the shop the other night. Interesting most see no future as private farms will eventually all be gone. Corporate Bayer, Richardson, Deere or Buffet farms and we will work for them. Paid a min wage to do what we do now. Like Oshawa and GMC the Gov will fall down for these new super farms and pledge everything because its the way of the future. THen like GMC policies will change in other places in the world and they will tell the workers to go home your done.

Who really cares about Farmers? I just ask the question! WHO?

I think the DNA of farmers says we should be peasants.....

The meek shall inherit the earth....

But I can feed myself....very few suits can't .

One thing I learnt from the meeting ...people from government like to tell you they have a farm background...why?

Might have to start a thread ...

Comment

Lol , a farm background..... why still not on farm ??? Most likely cause they knew there is no reasonable way to make a living 😂

Comment

A short story out of our local rag.

Comment

Bucket - I am just a farmer - yeah right; claiming a farm background brings you credit ability with any businessman in any sector that actually produces something and understands what drives an economy. Anyone who dimishes you when you say you are just a farmer or a trades person for that matter is far removed from reality - enter Justin Tru****er.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about SARM, close to 30 grand this year pretty spendy for a have not RM.

Maybe I need an enlightening but I’m definitely getting tired of our exorbitant tax burden.

Comment

Yea their second cousin twice removed is living on great grandfather Mats farm in Patrick Saskatchewan.

Like why even say you they are from a farm.

Comment

Again who actually cares about farming in Canada and is looking out for us farmers?

Really wonder how much is spent on useless meetings for nothing more than a get-together.

Comment

Call any Saskwhatever commission and ask about this royalty thing and look at their bios.....

Its pretty tough to say run of the mill farmers have any representation....

Comment

The NFU had a great idea one day and called out politicians then two days later come back with a useless support of an NDP carbon tax. Ready to send them a check and rip it up before you mail it all within a few days.

And the WCWGA are all for Seed Royalties but against Carbon Tax. https://wheatgrowers.ca/news/seed-value-creation-is-long-overdue

Comment

From my experience farmers show up at meetings because they have a personal grudge but after they have their say they disappear, they only care about their own personal problem, its no wonder we have no real represantion.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                        From my experience farmers show up at meetings because they have a personal grudge but after they have their say they disappear, they only care about their own personal problem, its no wonder we have no real represantion.
                        Fair comment Horse, and now that we are in the internet era you don't even have to go to a meeting - just throw your complaints out into the void then carry on with your day. This is not unique to agriculture it's happening throughout society hence the current state of politics/Government.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          A short story out of our local rag.
                          I've never heard of APAS (I'm in Alberta) but just based on that article and some poking around on their website, that sounds like a true farmer-representative organization. Helluva wishlist though. How much clout do they have?

Interesting membership model. Farmer only becomes a member if their RM decides to join APAS.

Here's the article turned right side up, for those interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	apas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	766932

Comment

We should be asked every load we deliver whether we want or not the checkoff taken off. That would make them respond and actually Seek input from us.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.