• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

public meetings … haha

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

public meetings … haha

update from the seed royalty meeting in winnipeg:
    it seemed to me like there was very little farmer opposition to the idea of charging royalties on farm saved seed. a few farmers spoke up against the idea, but their comments were limited by government moderators who were following a pre-scripted agenda.
    remember, these seed consultation meetings are technically open to all stakeholders, but they are moderated by government people and are attended by organizations that support the idea of new seed royalties. bottom line - the opinions of grassroots farmers are not being heard in these forums. and they probably won't be properly heard in any government-run meeting
    my question: is this issue important enough to organize farmer-led rallies or demonstrations?
    does anyone else think we need a meeting where farmers control the agenda, not seed company executives or government bureaucrats?

Sounds unfortunate, we're going to be told what to think and they're going to tell us what we want.

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillyWillie View Post
      it seemed to me like there was very little farmer opposition to the idea of charging royalties on farm saved seed. a few farmers spoke up against the idea, but their comments were limited by government moderators who were following a pre-scripted agenda.
      remember, these seed consultation meetings are technically open to all stakeholders, but they are moderated by government people and are attended by organizations that support the idea of new seed royalties. bottom line - the opinions of grassroots farmers are not being heard in these forums. and they probably won't be properly heard in any government-run meeting
      my question: is this issue important enough to organize farmer-led rallies or demonstrations?
      does anyone else think we need a meeting where farmers control the agenda, not seed company executives or government bureaucrats?
      Of course its important. You are giving up your rights and freedoms to call yourself a farmer. If this passes, the industry is farming you. As it is most farmers are already the retail industry’s *******.
      Before calling me names, think hard about that statement.
      Can you honestly say yes to one year without glyphosate?
      Can you farm without canola in the rotation? Can you farm if clubroot forces your RM into longer canola rotations?
      Canola seed is stupidly expensive, the entire industry is having their way with the farmer. What are you going to do about it? Not buy canola seed?
      Do you understand the retail industry has control of the farmers?
      Industry now wants to tap into your inventory that you grew on your farm and charge you royalties to replant? If you do not comply they can sue you. This the latest version of Monsanto vs. Schmeiser wheat, oats, peas,canaryseed, alfalfa ANY kind of seed.

Definitely remove the government reps moderating the meetings. They have nothing to lose and will waste the meetings.
      This is a good project for the deadbeats at APAS. Make those useless ****s do something worthwhile for the producer who pays their way.

Comment

Interesting because I spoke with a government guy for awhile who said it would be a good idea to show up.....I told him I can't be wasting my time listening to a script with the default of I don't know for answers.....

Now I want to go....

Comment

Quote Definitely remove the government reps moderating the meetings. They have nothing to lose and will waste the meetings.
          This is a good project for the deadbeats at APAS. Make those useless ****s do something worthwhile for the producer who pays their way.

Unquote

That pretty well nails it

Comment

We have to make a stand somewhere.

Comment

The whole point of the meetings is to gauge how well the hypnotism has worked to date, and get a feel for how much backlash to expect which in turn will determine their budget for a bigger or smaller pendulum to swing in front of you. Fight as an organized group or go rogue. What's KAP's stance on the issue, or are they even aware?

Comment

thanks for the update hillbilly, im in favour of having our own meeting.

Comment

I think the agenda should be broader than just seed it should be whether we fund these useless organizations any more at all.
                  We get s list of mlas mps that have to say whether or not they are in favour of us gaining control back or not. If not then they're out next election.

Comment

too bad we couldn't get our shit together ?
                    klause and bucket could run it
                    both ask good questions and seem to have the passion
                    sure wouldn't take many $ from each acre to organize ?
                    apas is a complete waste of tax $

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                      I think the agenda should be broader than just seed it should be whether we fund these useless organizations any more at all.
                      We get s list of mlas mps that have to say whether or not they are in favour of us gaining control back or not. If not then they're out next election.
                      Is there any producer org's in favor? Don't hear much from any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillyWillie View Post
                        I wasn't able to attend today but support the NFU members that did. I do think we have missed the boat on this issue - the rallies and demonstrations should have been about 5 years ago tp prevent the adoption of UPOV'91. As far as I can gather the current push to pursue the royalties issues allowed by the adoption of UPOV'91 emanates from the "seed sector value chain roundtable" see here for participating organisations:
                        http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/industry-markets-and-trade/value-chain-roundtables/seed/?id=1385757253931 http://http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/industry-markets-and-trade/value-chain-roundtables/seed/?id=1385757253931

In response to the question which organisations are in favour of introducing royalties on farm saved seed I think you would be a lot quicker compiling a list that are in opposition to the move. There is the NFU but are there actually any other groups that have opposed it?

Comment

I am formulating a list of questions for the December 4th meeting ...I hope I can make it....I will post it when I am finished....and the logic behind why I need the question answered...

This time I won't be fooled or buffaloed without my even the simplest questions answered....the open market transition shit show is a perfect example of leaving incompetent ****heads in charge of my interests. ...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                            I am formulating a list of questions for the December 4th meeting ...I hope I can make it....I will post it when I am finished....and the logic behind why I need the question answered...

This time I won't be fooled or buffaloed without my even the simplest questions answered....the open market transition shit show is a perfect example of leaving incompetent ****heads in charge of my interests. ...
                            should we start a fund raiser?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              should we start a fund raiser?
                              I will support this cause, anyone have any idea how to get some media involved? I wouldn't even be aware of this if I didn't follow agriville.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...