• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine oil in your Semi ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine oil in your Semi ?

Just wondering what type of oil, or what viscosity do you guys use in the engine of your Semi?

Do you use something different for the winter months?

Usually run 15w-40, but wondering if there would be a better viscosity to use during winter.

Interested in reading your responses.

Remember using synthetic 0w40 up north where you never shut them off for more than a few minutes a month and worked well.
    But I think most manufacturers call for a good 15w40 and have been recommended to stick with it.
    Cheaper. And we have access to great prestart heaters either 110v or Webasto.
    As always, idling kills.

Comment

I used a 0W-40 in a 3406 CAT. It ran without fail for years, had to run every week throughout winter. The only time I changed the schedule was if the school buses didn't run, which was usually around -30 plus wind chill. A percolator heater works well if you're not parked in a heated shop between trips. Don't forget to make sure your air dryer is up to snuff unless you have an alcohol injector for your system.

Comment

We have a oil pan heater in both of our tandems..15/40 oil...

Comment

Haven't seen an alcohol sniffer in years. Believe newer air systems are damaged by it.

Comment

Make sure your pan isn't fibreglass before you put on a pan heater lol.

Comment

15W40 in our trucks year round. In the heated shop during the winter.

Comment

0-40 in mine year round. Just asked the guy that deliver's fuel what they use and that's what he told me. Very expensive oil so I hope it is worth it.

My truck in a shed that's unheated so block heater and pan heater when ever I need to use it.

Comment

15/40 Rotella. -36C pour point.
                  Used to use straight 40 in the old Detroit with an immersion type pan heater. Always went. -13C pour point

Comment

0w40 year round , can go longer with it (semi synthetic), have pan heater but don't use it
                    Last edited by caseih; Nov 15, 2018, 19:00.

Comment

I run 5w40 year round. Rebuilt the engine and broke it in on 5w40, so that's what itll stay on.

15w40 with a pan and block heater is sufficient, or a pan and diesel fired circulating heater will fire in any weather.

Comment

Have a C15 Cat that had 0w40 in it when I bought it, so I just continue with that. Year round.

The cummins has 15w40 in it year round. Outside but plugged in or a proheat on when its going to be used.

My brother has a C15 and a detroit. They run 15w40 year round.

Comment

0w40 if parked outside and 15w40 I’d parked in a shop. If your truck dies when it’s -30 it’s a lot easier to get it going if it has 0w40

Comment

If the Engine has a oil pan heater I don’t like to mix and match oil. 15w40 should be fine if plug in. Although running 0w40syn all year is probably only gonna hurt the wallet.

Comment

Hand pumping 15W40 from a barrel that is "cold" is no easy feat.

Pouring it is very slow too, so think about the flowability in the engine.

Although that is all we use.

Truck is outside but has an oil pan heater and block heater(non recirculating)

Gotta make sure it's plugged in for adequate time.

Good batteries aid in cold weather starting but don't thin highly viscous oil!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.